• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MFE UK vs US

Hi everyone,

I have a bachelors in Computer Science. I’m currently working as a Quant Analyst at a hedge fund in London.

I’m exploring options for MFE. I’m confused between a full-time MFE from the US vs a part-time MFE from the UK. In the later case the employer would sponsor it.

If I go for a part time MFE in the UK, I might be considering only Imperial’s Masters in Mathematics & Finance program since the RMFE and LSE’s Masters in Finance seem to be more business oriented than quant oriented. Am I right?

From a rankings perspective, Imperial’s Masters in Mathematics and Finance seems to be as good as a MFE from the US.
2022 Rankings - Quant Finance Master’s Guide 2022 - Risk.net
2023 Rankings - Quant Finance Master’s Guide 2023 - Risk.net

I believe a MFE from the US would open a lot more doors? Let’s say after a few years I hope to get a job at some hedge fund in NY, how difficult would it be from a visa standpoint with a MFE from UK than from US?

I hope to get some clarity from you all. Thank you for reading this.

Are you planning on immigrating to the US for work? Seems like you've got a good thing going in London.

Visa issues aren't great, but if the US is your goal then a US MFE is by far the best option. I don't know how difficult it would be in your current situation.

If you are fine staying in London then I'd stick with Imperial; it has a very solid reputation AND you don't drop a bunch on money on the graduate degree + you MAKE money instead of a year and a half in opportunity cost.

Back