• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Minimum GRE score for entry into quant programs

Hi,

I have a B. Tech in Electrical Engineering from IIT Bombay. I have 2.5 years of experience in a HFT software firm. I have cleared CFA Level 1 and awaiting result for FRM Level 1. My GRE scores are 166:Q + 157:V.
I am targeting Univ of Toronto, NYU Tandon, Columbia, Berkeley and Cornell. Do I have any good chances? Any other suggestions? Please advise.

Take a look at the Tracker and you should see the profiles of those admitted to any program. You can get a good idea of how much GRE you need for each program.
Hi Nguyen,

Thanks for the reply. I have been following the tracker for some time but there are limits to it. I have yet to see any acceptance for a low GPA application. That is the reason I sought expert advice. If you could help me out in this regard, this would be huge.

If you complete with similar applicants (most are from China/India), your GPA may not make the cut. I believe your best bet would be to differentiate yourself with a unique background story, accomplishment or something that can convince the readers to overlook that.
Honestly, that won't be easy as they will probably spend a few minutes checking the GPA/GRE boxes and you may not get a second look once your GPA is lower than the cutoff.

I have a GPA of 3/4
B.Tech Major in Civil Engineering, Dual Minor(One is Computer Science and Other in Finance) from IIT Delhi, India
CFA Level 1 cleared,
GRE Q: 169 A: 160
Interns in Machine Learning and Trading in Banks and Trading Firms.
Can you please tell me about the chances of selection in Columbia University or
In which universities,I might be acceptable?

Back