• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MIT vs Chicago (30% scholarship?)

MIT vs Chicago (30% scholarship?)

• Total voters
Torn between the two programs, would love some opinions on either.

I’ll be joining the programs fresh out of college.

These are the points I’m thinking:

1. I am strongly leaning towards establishing a career as a quant, I do not have buy/sell-side preferences. I greatly enjoyed both my internships and those experiences helped shape my decision. However, given that I actually do not have any full-time experience, I am fairly open to roles in risk, fintech, corp finance.

2. MIT offers me a really good flexibility in case I believe I'm not a good fit for a quant, and also two concentrations that interest me: financial engineering and capital markets (CS/math courses from MIT seem like a really good way to prepare myself too). It also teaches fundamental courses in economics and finance, which I find very interesting. And the brand name is unparalleled.
I am a non-US citizen, and if I plan on moving to Asia or Europe later, the MIT brand might be able to help me then.

3. Chicago also seems like a very robust program, and probably will offer me a more focused training for quant jobs. I understand I also have the option to pursue electives from Booth later on. And with the scholarship, my difference in tuition between the two schools arrives at about 50,000 USD. I know it’s a fantastic school too. But perhaps a little lower in brand value than MIT (note that I’m not comparing the brand of the programs, just the universities).

The career statistics for both the programs seem equivalent. MIT has a higher mean salary, though. I reached out to my school’s alumni on LinkedIn who went to MIT MFin, and they are all extremely happy with the program. I couldn’t find any alumni from my school who went to Chicago, though, but judging from the reviews on Quantnet, people seem quite happy with it too.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Back