• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin vs UChicago MSFM (30% scholarship)

Which one is better?

• MIT MFin

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • UChicago MSFM (30% Scholarship)

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters
Hi guys, looking for some help to choose the right program for me. Can you all please comment. I am aspiring to become a quant researcher at a buy side firm. UChicago is offering me 30% scholarship so overall program will cost ~77k$ while MIT costs ~120k.

I have a similar background as yours (minus the work experience). If I were in your shoes, I would list out my considerations as
  • Program Content: MIT's MFin program may offer broader exposure to finance-related subjects, while UChicago's MSFM may provide a more focused curriculum tailored specifically to quantitative finance, which probably aligns more with your career goal as a quant researcher. However, if you think you may want to change directions at a later stage, MIT's MFin may give you a wider range of options to choose from.
  • Career Services: Now that you have both offers, I think you should reach out to current students on LinkedIn to get a first-hand understanding of both institutions' career services and alumni networks to see which one offers better support and connections in your desired field.
  • Cost Consideration: UChicago offers a significant advantage with a 30% scholarship, making it more affordable compared to MIT.
  • Prestige and Networking opportunities: Both MIT and UChicago are prestigious institutions with strong networks in the industry. MIT's reputation in technology and innovation could be beneficial. UChicago's strong ties to finance and location in a major financial trading hub like Chicago could also offer valuable networking opportunities.
Congratulations on your offers; best wishes!

Hey, thank you so much for your insights, it really helps. One last thing - is it okay for me to reach out to MIT administration for consideration of a scholarship. Let me know if it could reflect poorly

Hey, thank you so much for your insights, it really helps. One last thing - is it okay for me to reach out to MIT administration for consideration of a scholarship. Let me know if it could reflect poorly
I don't think there is harm in that - the worst they can say is no. Others may have a different opinion however

I think you should reach out. In my opinion, seeking assistance when needed demonstrates initiative and determination. Considering the significant financial burden for someone from India, exploring all available options is sensible. After all, if you don't ask, you may never discover what support is available. Ultimately, there's nothing to lose by politely inquiring, and it could potentially make a significant difference to your decision and future.

Back