• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Model risk quant at a bank or quant researcher at a hedge fund?

Hi everyone,

In terms of career progression possibilities, work/life balance, stress, income, etc.. would you pick a position as a model risk quant at a large bank or a quant researcher role at a top hedge fund? I'm trying to decide between two opportunities right now. Thank you so much!

Generally, although base pay may be similar, bonuses are higher at hedge funds. Work/life balance and general stress levels depend a lot on the specific company as well as the group within the company. It's useful to talk to as many people as possible about the environment/culture of the group and the company before making a decision. Or just check out whatever commentary you can find online. Many people would view the hedge fund as the obvious choice, but it's not always so clear-cut.

Generally, although base pay may be similar, bonuses are higher at hedge funds. Work/life balance and general stress levels depend a lot on the specific company as well as the group within the company. It's useful to talk to as many people as possible about the environment/culture of the group and the company before making a decision. Or just check out whatever commentary you can find online. Many people would view the hedge fund as the obvious choice, but it's not always so clear-cut.
Thanks for that answer! Yes I'm aware that there will be a significant pay gap between the two roles, but honestly for me I'm not trying to optimize just on income (though that is, of course, a factor). I want to enjoy my job, work on interesting topics, and also not be crazy stressed out 24/7, which I see my friends who are HF quants are. I'm not sure if it's any better in a bank. I also am worried about not being able to progress from a quant position at a HF, but again I was wondering if it's any better in a bank anyway.

Back