• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

moving to the buy side?

Hello, currently working as a front office quant in a large bank in NY (10+ years in dervivatives pricing) and thinking of moving to the buy side. The job in a bank is good (but becoming mundane) and the pay is good (but stable) so wanted to know if moving to the buy side is worth it? is the pay any better? how much more x2 x3? should i target large hedge funds with 40bn+ or small ones under 10bn in AUM. Thanks.

Based on offers I've received myself (though with less than 10y experience at the time), and from talking with friends at different firms, if you continue in a similar role writing analytics (i.e. not directly profit generation), you'll probably look at an immediate 1.5-2x increase, depending on whether you're paid on market currently (i.e. basically whether you've moved from one bank to another) and how well you negotiate. As for the fund, size doesn't matter, reputation does.

This is all quite variable, though, and headhunters will know your target market better.

Based on offers I've received myself (though with less than 10y experience at the time), and from talking with friends at different firms, if you continue in a similar role writing analytics (i.e. not directly profit generation), you'll probably look at an immediate 1.5-2x increase, depending on whether you're paid on market currently (i.e. basically whether you've moved from one bank to another) and how well you negotiate. As for the fund, size doesn't matter, reputation does.

This is all quite variable, though, and headhunters will know your target market better.
Many thanks for your reply.

Back