• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MSc Fin Math graduated, lookin for PHD or another MS? Where can I get in?

Hey, this is Hao. I just graduated this summer, and currently working for UBS as an offshore operational risk analyst. However, I still want to do a PHD or something else. Please feel free to give your evaluation and recommendations, because Im not quite sure what's best for me. (i.e. which PHD program).

My background:
1. Undergrade: Finance in the Univerity of Plymouth, UK ; graduated with first class honors degree.
-dissertation is on FX marke efficiency, also got first class score.

2. Master: Financial Mathematics in the University of Exeter, UK; graduated with distinction. (Distinction is the best master degree you can get in the UK, it is like first class for undergrad)
-program structure can be found here,
http://emps.exeter.ac.uk/mathematics-computer-science/postgraduate/programmes/finmathsmsc/structure/
But I want to point out that I did not do dissertation, because I could choose to do several more modules instead of dissertation. Also, programming was done mostly on matlab and R. Very little C++ exposure, but I am currently studying it.

3. GRE: I am currently studying it, assume I can do it pretty well and good in quant section and quant subject test.

Screen Shot 2011-10-09 at 11.00.48 PM.png

OK, now. I really donno which PHD I should do or where can I get in, should I do a MFE?. Sometimes I think maybe I should do an engineering PHD or mathematics, so if economy is not getting better I could still have some hard skills. Please advise any relevant knowledge. But I want to point out that, I switch from finance to financial math, and did pretty well, which demonstrate my ability for tackling new areas.

Well, you have Msc in Financial Maths, so you could search for a quant job, but job market is tough nowadays, so doing a PhD would let you spend this time in useful way. But choose PhD you like and not necesserily quantitative finance, cuz who knows what will be left of finance after 3-4 years. And dont do another MFE its same as Msc in Fin Maths more or less.

Say you were to pursue a Ph.D. in Operations Research (or, what you folks in England seem to call "Operational Research.") That's a much broader field than Financial Engineering, which many consider to be a subfield of O.R.

If the market for quants in finance remains sour, with an O.R. degree you may be able to move into a different area -- for example, with mastery of Optimization, which is a central focus of O.R., you might be able to move into a place like, say, Google, which has a much greater need for people who know this field rather than finance.

Hey guys, please give some comments on the strength of my profile, Am I stand the chance to be accepted? I want to apply a top school, How is it considering my current achievement? Thanks.

Back