• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MSc Mathematical and Computational Finance or MSc Statistical Science

• Thread starter Thread starter VTim
  • Start date Start date
Dear all,

This year I'll be attending a MSc Quantitative Finance at a non-target university in the Netherlands. I am thinking about trying for a MSc at Oxford (and lSE/Imperial) the following year to increase my changes at getting interviews at cool firms (ideally a hedge fund). However, I am not sure to which program I should apply:

1) MSc Mathematical and Computational Finance. Would be my ideal course, as it is directly aimed at working at a hedge fund (which is what I want). However, as I am already doing a Quant Finance MSc there is some overlap in courses, which I am afraid lowers my admission changes.

2) MSc Statstical Science. I like statistics, so the course itself seems fun, but it seems to be more aimed at a back-office role in a financial institution than a front-office investing role. The advantage is that I think my admission changes would be higher.

What would you guys do in my position? Do you guys think that the Statistical Science course would make it harder to get to a front-office investing role? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Tim

Back