Need Advice...Gatech QCF VERSUS CU MSOR

Hey guys, I have received admissions from Gatech QCF, UChicago MSFE ; and I have been redirected to MSOR after interviewed for MSFE.
I have withdrawn the ad from Uchicago and now I need to choose between Gatech QCF and CU MSOR cos the deposit date is approaching.... So I really need some advice on this

Gatech QCF: I simply love the curriculum in Gatech and I think it has great local competitive. But I have little knowledge about its employment stats, especially for international students.

CU MSOR: a program in NYC brings more variability. my senior classmate said MSOR has little difference from MSFE....but MSFE have better professional connection.....

Here I am a little bit confused right now....and if a job in finance industry, preferably in buy-side institution, is what one aims to seek ( I totally understand it is extremely difficult) , which program is a better choice?

Waiting for inputs and thanks, again

ur redirected, which meana ur profile is sub par, buyside seems hard, just forget gatech, middle of nowhere location makes it even worse

ur redirected, which meana ur profile is sub par, buyside seems hard, just forget gatech, middle of nowhere location makes it even worse
You'd have to be an idiot to actually listen to this guy. People break into the buyside from the most non-target of backgrounds. The reality of this industry is that connections will take you way further than education. Not to mention G Tech isn't even non-target.

Look up what people from those programs are doing on linkedin. Looks like at least one is at AQR and I'm pretty sure some people went to Citadel. These aren't just buyside firms, they're the best of the best. This is why you should research these things for yourself.

of cos ppl can break in anywhere regardless the background, i myself come from not even a nontarget. its much of the exception rather than the rule

Hey guys, I have received admissions from Gatech QCF, UChicago MSFE ; and I have been redirected to MSOR after interviewed for MSFE.
I have withdrawn the ad from Uchicago and now I need to choose between Gatech QCF and CU MSOR cos the deposit date is approaching.... So I really need some advice on this

Gatech QCF: I simply love the curriculum in Gatech and I think it has great local competitive. But I have little knowledge about its employment stats, especially for international students.

CU MSOR: a program in NYC brings more variability. my senior classmate said MSOR has little difference from MSFE....but MSFE have better professional connection.....

Here I am a little bit confused right now....and if a job in finance industry, preferably in buy-side institution, is what one aims to seek ( I totally understand it is extremely difficult) , which program is a better choice?

Waiting for inputs and thanks, again
Hi Cheng,

I am a current student at Gatech QCF and will be graduating this semester. If I were you, I would pick Gatech QCF. I'm not saying this coz am a Gatech student but I have some idea about Columbia as well since I have some friends at Coulmbia MSOR. As far as employment stats are concerned, around 90% of class is placed. 3-4 might be searching for a job but they have a couple interviews and will find one really soon.

NYC as a location can definitely be a plus but Atlanta isn't bad especially when you have ICE headquarters, Sun Trust and other boutique hedge funds who prefer local students. An added advantage is that you are not competing against 200 other MSOR students of columbia with more from Columbia MFE and NYU MathFin.

Btw, classmates are placed in NYC, Chicago and Boston as well including Citadel - HFT, Citi, Deutsche, etc. LinkedIn might help you connect with some of the alumni and get a better perspective.

Just my 2 cents..! Congratulations on your admit :)

Mihir

Last edited:
You'd have to be an idiot to actually listen to this guy. People break into the buyside from the most non-target of backgrounds. The reality of this industry is that connections will take you way further than education. Not to mention G Tech isn't even non-target.

Look up what people from those programs are doing on linkedin. Looks like at least one is at AQR and I'm pretty sure some people went to Citadel. These aren't just buyside firms, they're the best of the best. This is why you should research these things for yourself.

Thanks a lot for the advice.....Linkedin is quite useful....

of cos ppl can break in anywhere regardless the background, i myself come from not even a nontarget. its much of the exception rather than the rule

thanks for the advice ..... I guess what I have learnt from my undergraduate study is that brand sometimes do matter...whether in US or not...LOL

Hi Cheng,

I am a current student at Gatech QCF and will be graduating this semester. If I were you, I would pick Gatech QCF. I'm not saying this coz am a Gatech student but I have some idea about Columbia as well since I have some friends at Coulmbia MSOR. As far as employment stats are concerned, around 90% of class is placed. 3-4 might be searching for a job but they have a couple interviews and will find one really soon.

NYC as a location can definitely be a plus but Atlanta isn't bad especially when you have ICE headquarters, Sun Trust and other boutique hedge funds who prefer local students. An added advantage is that you are not competing against 200 other MSOR students of columbia with more from Columbia MFE and NYU MathFin.

Btw, classmates are placed in NYC, Chicago and Boston as well including Citadel - HFT, Citi, Deutsche, etc. LinkedIn might help you connect with some of the alumni and get a better perspective.

Just my 2 cents..! Congratulations on your admit :)

Mihir

thanks a lot for your info....
I am actually curious about MSOR.....if possible, can you shall some info about MSOR......I have talked with some students in Columbia OR but they have quite different ideas about this program......

About QCF....I am an international student so I am wondering the detailed info about this group.....

Again I am grateful for your inputs and thank you for yr time

Back