• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need Advice On Recording Lecture Videos

Confession: I always relied on my TAs to do this for me in the past.

I'm a reasonably tech-savvy professor. Now I want to record a Powerpoint presentation-based lecture on my laptop, possibly using other applications (e.g. MS Excel), save the recording, and possibly make it available on YouTube.

I know there are lots of choices, like QuickTime, Zoom, WebEx, GoToMeeting, Sakai, Blackboard, etc. I've checked them out and watched some online stuff, but the best (simplest) way to do this is not clear.

Recommendations? Good training video?
Thanks

I used and still use Camstudio (AFAIR it costs 40 bucks). It's very easy to use. I usually start PP and Visual Studio and Camstudio records everything I do on the screen.

These days I have my better half to do copy editing and stuff like that. I have learned:

1. don't use headphones
2. don't use a squeaky svivvelly chair
3. use a silent keyboard
4. Camstudio session of 30 minutes is ideal for ALL involved
5. no slurply tea-drinking
6. avoid er-uh-pause-ah-oh-er-agh noises (difficult), keep a good flow.
7. Avoid heavy breathing by controlling oxygen intake.
(8. in my case no recording when Junior (metal drummer) is in the house :D)

If you have any queries give me a shout. Good luck!

@APalley

Last edited:

Hands down simplest and free. I use it all the time.

Not for editing though; for "press record and you're done" type sessions.

I use TechSmith Camtasia | Screen Recorder & Video Editor for all in one recording, editing.

A good Mic is probably more important than the software
For serious recordings I use Camtasia as well. Powerful and simple to use.

I think I paid ~$250. Excellent editing capabilities.

To Avi's point a good mic is so important. I use the Rode USB mic, but it will be so clear that you will hear EVERYTHING even people walking upstairs. You might need to edit out the extra noise.

Hands down simplest and free. I use it all the time.

Not for editing though; for "press record and you're done" type sessions.

Same

Assuming you are running Windows 10 and a newer version of Powerpoint, think you can get by using inbuilt tools. So Windows 10 has the Xbox gamebar that records the entire screen (whether you have a video game running or not). Newer versions of powerpoint also have an option to record power points.

I'd suggest a good quality condenser mic for audio recordings - they are a little expensive but basically last forever.

Back