• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need help from past NYU Quant Applicants

I am wondering what is my chance of getting into Courant, here are my stats.

Education: US top Undergraduate 5 Business School
Major: double major in Finance and Mathematics
Cummulative GPA: 3.6/4.0
Math Major GPA: 4.0/4.0
GRE: 800Q 560V
Ethnics: Asian

Many Thanks

Take a look at the program's web page. You will find there the resumes of current students. That should help you determine.

Thank you both for your comments.

Andy, just out of curiosity, I am wondering whats makes a good applicants other than the informations I provided.

I know that work experience might play an important role as well. However, I am still in college in my last year. I did an internship at a hedge fund last summer doing quantitative analysis and modeling, thats about it.

A good candidate is one who has researched this field and the target program extensively and are well prepared academically and mentally for what lays ahead.
It sounds simple but it's rare to see applicants who doesn't come off as "hey, just found this field, it sounds really cool, I want to be a quant".

People don't just discover this degree a month ago and now wax convincingly on their essay that this is their life long passion.

People with relevant experience are in much better position because they can tell it first hand and be able to better express their shortcomings and why the degree will fill that gap.

agreed , that one should research well before entering such programs , and not just enter it as another hot shot career.
But there are many like us who didnt know what to do until late 3rd year of our college . And couldn't have the luxury of getting a relevant finanical work experience. In India , the finance jobs only to IITs and MBAs. In that case , what would you suggest such applicants ?

Work experience in finance is a huge plus because one would better understand his own career direction but let me say again, it's not a requirement to get in any MFE program.
Just take a look at every single programs out there, look at their students profile. All you need is to have a very solid quantitative education, top grades. There are so much one can do about the jobs/internships/education so just pick one where you can beat the rest instead of being mediocre in all.

Back