• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

need your advises

dear all, I got an offer from University of Exeter to study finanical mathematics, do you think that this is a good school that I should go to in England? At the same time, I also got an offer from Cass to study quantitative finance. Since I wanna be a quant, so I think financial math will be a better fit, do you think so? would this degree be good enough for me to find job in junior quant position in England (2010 June)?

Doug is right. You want to be employed after you graduate, see if you can figure out/find out employment statistics of each program. I am not familiar with either so I cannot state anything more meaningful than this

FE Programs

Hey guys I am currently an undergrad that wants to get an MS in financial engineering. I've been looking at different programs and have some concerns.
1. It seems like you need work experience to get into a great program ( Like Baruch )
2. Also what are some of the careers with a FE degree
3. Ive been looking at the Quantitative methods and modeling program at baruch as well and was wondering what was the difference and what are the career opportunities that you can received with an MS in that field.
4. I also saw that RPI has financial engineering program, it is a good school my prof talked to me about it today, but it seems relatively new, and I don't know if I would be able to get recruited from that school. If anyone can shed some light on these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys I am currently an undergrad that wants to get an MS in financial engineering. I've been looking at different programs and have some concerns.
1. It seems like you need work experience to get into a great program ( Like Baruch )

Read the current and past student bios in the "Introductions" forum. You will see not all students have work experience; some come directly from undergrad.

2. Also what are some of the careers with a FE degree

Look on the Baruch MFE website, e.g. There is a list there. As always, be aware that finance is undergoing great turmoil and old positions (such as structuring) do not exist for the time being, and everything else is extremely competitive.

3. Ive been looking at the Quantitative methods and modeling program at baruch as well and was wondering what was the difference and what are the career opportunities that you can received with an MS in that field.

4. I also saw that RPI has financial engineering program, it is a good school my prof talked to me about it today, but it seems relatively new, and I don't know if I would be able to get recruited from that school. If anyone can shed some light on these questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Try searching this forum, the internet, and other quant forums such as global derivatives, wilmott, physics phynance, etc as well. I don't recall a thread on those topics here, but who knows, the world existed before I came around.

Back