• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Neftci Principles in financial engineering problem 2nd ed Ch3 Ex 3(c)

• Thread starter Thread starter elektor
  • Start date Start date
I need help in understanding the answer to a question in Neftci's Principles in Financial Engineering book 2nd Edition under Chapter 3 exercise 3(c).

The solution manual says that with the new outright forward spot rates consider the synthetics and to go long in one which gives higher profit while shorting the other to create an arbitrage portfolio.

I have the two sets of synthetics but these synthetics are already such that I am long in one and I am short the other. Now he says to go long in the one which gives a higher profit? Under what scenarios will I get a profit? Could someone help me with understanding the positions I should be taking with the outright forward rates where I would be getting profits?

Regards

where did you get the solutions manual from? could you post a link?

Basically the problem I have is with the statement "which gives a higher profit". Does he take two strategies in which one is evaluated to be having higher profits than the other? If yes then what is the second arbitrage strategy.

The first I evaluate as short Contract A with long 1.1525 EUR/USD forward and long Contract B with short 1.510 EUR/USD forward. Is this the only arbitrage strategy possible?

Back