Never come to Toronto MMF program. From a graduate of that program

Well, for your own benefit, it is never wise to write a bad review for your own program. If you are already in a program that you think wasted your time, then it becomes your sunk cost, which doesn't matter to you in the future. What you want to do is maximize your benefits in the future for your own good by improving yourself in other ways. Write a bad review certainly wont help at all. I am in a top 5 program according to this ranking, and this program is way below my expectation, but the least thing I want to do is to write a negative review about it, because I still want it to be favorable by potential employers.
What program are you in?

Do not be stupid.... go to see the dates of the last three reviews(there are only four reviews in total).

Ask yourself: why are the three reviews written on so close dates???

It is obvious.....

4 reviews bad or good, don't make an acceptable sample anyway.
I'm not sure what's the point being made here.
In order for the reviews to gain credibility we need more of them. @Steve Wu are you going to write one? yes or no.

no, it is not rational for us to do so....... we do not want to go further... because by saying this, we are doing something good already.... going further means hurting ourselves in the near future... we are in contracts.... we need to find another job soon.... sorry.

no, that's not good because nobody will take you seriously if you are not thorough.
if you are not willing to back up your statement with a detailed explanation, please spare us. There are lots of reason that could explain why a program is "bad", maybe the program is not
what you expected? then share that with us. Maybe if you cant get the jobs that you want it might have to do with you and not the program, how do we know? you are not being helpful here . . .

if you read enough posts in this forum, you can summarize "the bad" of toronto's program (or any other non-top 7 programs) via hearsay:
  • reputation is just alright
  • most graduates got placed full time at relatively low paying (~50k) risk jobs (short/medium term contract based positions) thus bleak career prospects
  • internship placements are concentrated at handful of places and are almost the same every year
  • teaching qualities are usually subpar with lots of materials crammed together in a very limited time and no room for digestion (you basically don't really learn)
  • compared to the money one puts in, the outcome may not be much better than diving into the workplace directly straight from undergrad

Very good
if you read enough posts in this forum, you can summarize "the bad" of toronto's program (or any other non-top 7 programs) via hearsay:
  • reputation is just alright
  • most graduates got placed full time at relatively low paying (~50k) risk jobs (short/medium term contract based positions) thus bleak career prospects
  • internship placements are concentrated at handful of places and are almost the same every year
  • teaching qualities are usually subpar with lots of materials crammed together in a very limited time and no room for digestion (you basically don't really learn)
  • compared to the money one puts in, the outcome may not be much better than diving into the workplace directly straight from undergrad

I really have no idea about the program but felt it'd be useful for int'l students to know that the financial sector in Toronto is very small - basically 5 big Canadian banks, 2-3 notable insurance companies, 3 decent pension funds, and a handful of Asset Managers. Bulge bracket banks have some presence here, but their footprint is tiny and heavily tied to commodities. Buy side is small, has its pick from the sell side, and is still very much entrenched in traditional non-quant mindset. As you can imagine the # of positions available is quite limited, and every year 100s of undergrads & graduates enter the job market.

Last edited:
no, that's not good because nobody will take you seriously if you are not thorough.
if you are not willing to back up your statement with a detailed explanation, please spare us. There are lots of reason that could explain why a program is "bad", maybe the program is not
what you expected? then share that with us. Maybe if you cant get the jobs that you want it might have to do with you and not the program, how do we know? you are not being helpful here . . .
Very true! It is both unfair towards the program and towards prospective students to leave them guessing without rational explanations or review. This " Shoot and Scoot" is very Unfair.

Now all the reasons are summarized above.... + the placement data is manipulated ...

Back