• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New here, profile advice and a few questions

Hi, I graduated in 2020 from a small unranked LAC. I studied pure math there and ended with a 3.82. I ended up in a FO (non-quantitative) role at a BB post graduation and have lately been looking a lot more into quantitative jobs/programs. I'd be looking to apply next cycle and would likely shoot for UChicago type schools. I have decent programming experience, having done projects/classes in Python and C++. I feel my profile is pretty strong overall, but plan to improve my programming skills prior to applying/starting any program. Will be studying for the GRE starting now, and feel quite confident I can end up with a good score.

The one thing I don't have is ODE, which judging by other threads, seems like something I will definitely need (the reason for this is that due to being pure I only needed x number of courses from a certain bucket of applied ones; I had a bad semester and ended up dropping ODE, but due to program requirements I did not ever end up having to take it again as I took another course to substitute). Any input as to whether I should just learn this on my own, or whether or not it will be a big enough gap such that not going ahead and taking it somewhere will significantly weaken my app? Additionally I would appreciate any other input as to how I can strengthen my profile between now and application time.

Thanks

Back