• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Not doing an internship during the summer before your master's degree starts?

I am a graduating undergraduate senior and studied math+econ. I got accepted to MFE program at a decent school (think of Gerogia Tech or Baruch. Is it detrimental not doing an internship during the summer before the entrance to the master's program? I am reviewing some college courses that I took but barely remember (math, cs, finance courses) to give myself better background. How is it gonna affect my next summer internship recruiting?

do the internship. you either end up wasting time over studying, or procrastinating all summer not learning anything.

do the internship. you either end up wasting time over studying, or procrastinating all summer not learning anything.

I wish. You know, it's MAY and there are not any companies hiring for their summer intern positions(at least those related to quant finance).

Why is studying a waste of time? I also do not procrastinate. Just want to give myself solid background in math and finance and review the materials. Towards the end of the summer, I am going to write a research paper on my own and use it as a portfolio during my internship interview. Does that work too?

If you've been out of school for a few years, definitely review calculus, probability/statistics, and basic finance.

You can still do that and do an internship at the same time...

If you've been out of school for a few years, definitely review calculus, probability/statistics, and basic finance.

You can still do that and do an internship at the same time...

But the problem is that it is May already.. how can I possibly find quant finance internships?

But the problem is that it is May already.. how can I possibly find quant finance internships?

That's up to you. Why did you leave it up to the last minute?

To answer your original question, it may be detrimental in the sense that many people applying to MFE programs will already have financial services experience under their belt and you will be competing with them for jobs.

For May it is a little bit late. If you can not find one, you can try other methods to suit yourself better in mfe. e.g. learn some programming...

Yes that's actually what I am doing. I applied to internships during my senior year, but like 90% of the companies were hiring college juniors or sophomores, not seniors. I got a few interviews, but did not get an offer. Anyways, I am reviewing my undergrad studies (probability, econometrics, and investment theory) and learning python and excel. In the mean time, I am also working on an self-directed econometric paper. I hope to present it to the future employers for next summer internship.

Yes that's actually what I am doing. I applied to internships during my senior year, but like 90% of the companies were hiring college juniors or sophomores, not seniors. I got a few interviews, but did not get an offer. Anyways, I am reviewing my undergrad studies (probability, econometrics, and investment theory) and learning python and excel. In the mean time, I am also working on an self-directed econometric paper. I hope to present it to the future employers for next summer internship.

Just wanna say that I am not "playing" during this summer.. Also doing part time job 30 weeks / week to make money for the academic year for food and etc.

Back