• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU Courant vs Columbia MFE

Which program to choose between NYU Courant Math in Finance and Columbia MFE?

• Total voters
I'll definitely try to enrich my programming skills. The real question is, why do they prefer Java to C++? I really don't get it. Moreover, is it still the case that the program is Java based or they have now shifted to C++ after complaints by some students?

I also don't know why NYU chose to go JAVA-based…And you should ask them whether they provide an alternative choice for C++.

I remember there was a discussion about why C++. You can search that thread on QuantNet. Based on my internship experience, I find that's because many companies have their quant systems built by C++. And your work is going to implement things based on that system, so they generall require you to know C++ well. In addition, you should also be familiar with Python, Matlab, SQL, and at least one statistical software, like R, SAS, because they have a lot of work in quant analyses.

I also don't know why NYU chose to go JAVA-based…And you should ask them whether they provide an alternative choice for C++.

I remember there was a discussion about why C++. You can search that thread on QuantNet. Based on my internship experience, I find that's because many companies have their quant systems built by C++. And your work is going to implement things based on that system, so they generall require you to know C++ well. In addition, you should also be familiar with Python, Matlab, SQL, and at least one statistical software, like R, SAS, because they have a lot of work in quant analyses.

I am learning C++ and Python now and I am pretty good with Matlab. The decision can't be based on Java vs C++ and I am just trying to understand from someone with experience of one of these programs what are the real pros and cons of each one...

NYU MathFin is more inclined towards research and strategies making it a suitable choice for you.
All in all it's more hardcore and selective than Columbia MFE, plus a stronger career service (smaller applicant pool and resume books being sent out).

Just my $0.02
Seems that NYU Courant does not allow international students to find internships during the first two semesters. Would that cut into the possibility to find a good summer internship due to lack of work experience?

Seems that NYU Courant does not allow international students to find internships during the first two semesters. Would that cut into the possibility to find a good summer internship due to lack of work experience?
I don't believe international students are allowed to work during the first two semesters at any program, even Columbia.

I don't believe international students are allowed to work during the first two semesters at any program, even Columbia.

They can do unpaid internships, even though it's not allowed(not sure), but many people are doing so. I don't know the situation for Columbia MFE and NYU, but I know Columbia MAFN has a 'course' named 'unpaid internship' in spring semester, for students to do that legally. And generally many unpaid internships don't require you to have that official status.

Last edited:

That's where networking comes into play (for summer internships). Don't join a program expecting that internship and job opportunities will be served on a silver platter.

Back