• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
New York University - MS in Mathematics in Finance

NYU MSMF NYU Mathematics in Finance Admission Results

I just saw the first batch of decisions released today. Are there going to be anymore batches?

I’ve got accepted too, but am still deciding between Columbia MFE and UChicago MSFM. Almost sure I’m going to Chicago.

I too have to make a decision between uchicago and columbia. Most probably would go to chicago. Both schools seems equal on other parameters, but chicago's low cost (both tuition and stay wise) is appealing to me. And chicago being a hub for HFTs also aligns with my career goals.

I too have to make a decision between uchicago and columbia. Most probably would go to chicago. Both schools seems equal on other parameters, but chicago's low cost (both tuition and stay wise) is appealing to me. And chicago being a hub for HFTs also aligns with my career goals.
What if Stanford gives you some good news on Monday? Lol

What if Stanford gives you some good news on Monday? Lol

Well, that's highly unlikely 😇. I don't have my hopes up after getting to know that there are like only 5-10 seats.

Saw that you got into Courant. All the best. Courant is one of the best places to study maths.

Well, that's highly unlikely 😇. I don't have my hopes up after getting to know that there are like only 5-10 seats.

Saw that you got into Courant. All the best. Courant is one of the best places to study maths.
Well you never know, you might just be that lucky guy. Thanks! Good luck to you too.

May I ask you the same question too, escheffer? Why are you not considering Courant? In your eyes, what are the pros and cons about Courant that ultimately led you to discard it as a viable option? Eager to hear your thoughts, thanks!
That’s actually a good question. Honestly, I think that, for quant finance, they are all of the same caliber, so I should consider Courant too.

However, given that (i) NYU’s reputation is a little smaller than UChicago and Columbia, (ii) there is nothing very relevant I could find that clearly distinguishes NYU MathFun from Columbia MFE and set it apart besides a maybe better CDO, (iii) the stronger aspects for Columbia when deciding between it and UChicago was reputation and location, and (iv) I still choose UChicago (as discussed in another thread), then there is no point of bringing NYU to the table again (NYU Courant’s decision letter was mas last one).

Still, had I not gotten into UChicago, I would definitely explore more Columbia MFE vs. NYU MathFin and talk to current students, alumni, and career development officers of both, because, by the start I would be almost 50-50 between both. I think the ultimate decision would come to the curriculum focus and flexibility, reputation, program duration, and whatever you find out from both CDO. I would bet that Columbia has made some changes to their CDO given the amount of negative feedback and their presentation to the newly admitted students (large focus on the CDO), so I would explore into that.

My personal choices were: Princeton > Berkeley = CMU = UChicago > NYU Courant = Columbia MFE > Cornell = Baruch > NYU Tandon = UCLA = GaTech > NCSU

Last edited:
Back