• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE NYU MathFin or Columbia MFE

I have cut down my choices to these two which I can hardly decide. The deadline of Columbia is coming so I want some advice from the forum.

I am currently a math undergrad and want to go for a quant or asset management job in US after the graduate study.

I have read some threads saying that NYU is much better than Columbia but I think Columbia has its own strength. Here is my concern:

NYU's program is under math dept and I am really love math so that is the thing that attracts me to apply. I know NYU's career service is very strong that most of its students can find a job in US. However, its reputation outside US is not as good as Columbia. I want to go back to China after a few years working in US so I am not sure whether it matters.

Columbia first has very good reputation. Students of FE program can take courses from its B-school which is very strong. However, there are two many students in that program and I heard that some competitive programs such as MSOR and MathFin are pretty much the same that students from these programs can take same courses.

Really wanna hear some advice.

Thanks.

I have cut down my choices to these two which I can hardly decide. The deadline of Columbia is coming so I want some advice from the forum.

I am currently a math undergrad and want to go for a quant or asset management job in US after the graduate study.

I have read some threads saying that NYU is much better than Columbia but I think Columbia has its own strength. Here is my concern:

NYU's program is under math dept and I am really love math so that is the thing that attracts me to apply. I know NYU's career service is very strong that most of its students can find a job in US. However, its reputation outside US is not as good as Columbia. I want to go back to China after a few years working in US so I am not sure whether it matters.

Columbia first has very good reputation. Students of FE program can take courses from its B-school which is very strong. However, there are two many students in that program and I heard that some competitive programs such as MSOR and MathFin are pretty much the same that students from these programs can take same courses.

Really wanna hear some advice.

Thanks.

I have the similar situation as for a chinese student. I am just considering the best choice from the CMU, Columbia and NYU. And I also want to work for a few years and then come back to China. Columbia has too much students and quite a few similar majors such as MSOR, MF, FE, QF. The other two has much better career service.

By the way, as far as I know, the investment bank in China such as MS, JP Morgan, UBS, etc. more recognize Columbia~ Really a tough choice

Before you go back to China, you have to build your career in the US first, right? And which program gives you the best training and help in finding your first job that will lead to the career you prefer?
This is the most important question.

I think you guys overestimate the brand name in the later part of your career. Maybe you can brag with friends and relative about Columbia because it's more recognized in Asia but I think it's snobbish to say global banks will want to filter someone with 5 years experience in the US using his education degree.

Can you imagine the hiring managers will say: "Hey, let's hire this guy. He did a master from Columbia 6 years ago. The other guy got a great career at Goldman Sachs with impressive skill and great fit for this role but his master is from NYU/CMU (insert a lesser known name)". At this stage of your career where you come in as experienced professional, if people still judge you by your school name, something is seriously wrong.

Please give me reasons why my thinking is wrong.

Even playing strictly by the name game, CMU and NYU are pretty on par to Columbia. The name doesn't really make much of a difference. In fact, if I wanted to be a hardcore quant, I would go with CMU or NYU....

And let's not forget that statistics done on the number of international students who come to study in the US, the number of them going back home after obtaining the degree and 5 years later is really, really small.

So while you may think you will go back to China/India 5 years later, chance is good that you will settle in here, get married, buy a house. So don't plan your future that far where things may change quickly.

Your first and immediate plan is a program that prepare you with a job within the next 5 years. After that, you should be hiring people, not the other way around

Before you go back to China, you have to build your career in the US first, right? And which program gives you the best training and help in finding your first job that will lead to the career you prefer?
This is the most important question.

I think you guys overestimate the brand name in the later part of your career. Maybe you can brag with friends and relative about Columbia because it's more recognized in Asia but I think it's snobbish to say global banks will want to filter someone with 5 years experience in the US using his education degree.

Can you imagine the hiring managers will say: "Hey, let's hire this guy. He did a master from Columbia 6 years ago. The other guy got a great career at Goldman Sachs with impressive skill and great fit for this role but his master is from NYU/CMU (insert a lesser known name)". At this stage of your career where you come in as experienced professional, if people still judge you by your school name, something is seriously wrong.

Please give me reasons why my thinking is wrong.
Andy, Thank you so much for helping me out as this probelm has disturbed me for a month. I think it doesn't matter what the fame of the school, It matters the quality of the program and what it can help you find your first job which you can learn and improve yourself most. Thanks you again for your guidance, it is really valuable for me. I will choose from CMU and NYU.(still waiting for NYU, got the admission from CMU)

Really thanks for your suggestion. Getting a good job in the US is my first goal after graduation. I think NYU is the best fit for me.

Back