• Start date Start date

NYU MathFin or Columbia MSFE?

• NYU MathFin

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Columbia MSFE

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
Hi all,

I'm an applicant to MFE programs this year and I'm faced with a difficult decision now: NYU MathFin vs. Columbia MSFE.

Columbia has the big name and is recognized globally. The program seems great and the recent placement record is quite good. The problem is they have too many similar quantitative finance programs and they have many students.

NYU's program is located in Courant institute and is very solid in math. I heard that their alumni network in Wall Street is second to none. They has a small batch size and great resources at the same time. But NYU's general brand name may be a concern.

Upon graduation, I'd like to seek a quantitative finance related job in New York. Quant or asset mgmt related jobs are ideal for me.

Look forward to hearing advice from all of you. I believe they'll help a lot. Thanks!

From what I have heard, NYU Courant is considered the best App Math institute globally, so I think the choice then becomes quite simple...
I myself have admits to these 2 universities and NYU is anyday ahead of Columbia on my list atleast. Also I have spoken with alumni of both universities, NYU alumni seemed to be much surer of what they wanted in their careers and seemed better placed as well...
my 0.02$

Back