COMPARE NYU Poly MFE vs Rutgers MQF

@LPM @sidg
Here is some info,

1. employment rate. Can't get the exact rate, but about 1/3 of the international students managed to acquired jobs within the US. For Chinese students, the majority of the graduates work in Beijing and Shanghai
2. mid-office, back-office...there are students working in different positions. But not many students actually do FE jobs. The recent recruiters include JP Morgan, Moody's, S&P, Big four,etc.

And he told me about the new lady from Wall Street that runs the career service. She is quite experienced.

And another point he made is that school isn't the most essential factor when seeking jobs. Even some students from MIT cannot get good placement. At Rutgers...well, the situation of individual students differ greatly(some do really well while some unemployed)
Networking is what matters.

For me, the situation is 12000$ scholarship from Rutgers and 8000$ from Poly. So I don't know how to choose yet. those who see this post feel free to give me advice.Thanks.
I agree with LPM. It all comes down to how well you settle and perform at any school you go for. And networking is key. It is the trump card for landing a job.
I think wherever I go, I want to suck out all the good of the university and program and improve my horizon of knowledge so my job opportunities are not restricted to certain FE jobs or anything. You're on your own at the end of the day.
I will maintain that you should go for Rutgers! A better uni compared to Poly and might have a little more to offer on the career services part. Poly's CS is non existent. Plus the 12k scholarship is an inviting perk. I didn't get any scholarship.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Sid

There is hardly a huge difference that the uni will have on your career prospects .

That's not really true. Reputation is incredibly important for the MFE programs particularly. Sometimes I've even heard people say they're only interviewing people from certain schools ("Columbia and CMU only this year because we did NYU a lot last year" etc). A handful of schools get the most elite jobs and whatever remains goes to the best contenders from the "ok" programs.

I'm not interested in a debate. I've been around the block a few times by now. You can take what I say and use it or try to believe otherwise and proceed.

That's not really true. Reputation is incredibly important for the MFE programs particularly. Sometimes I've even heard people say they're only interviewing people from certain schools ("Columbia and CMU only this year because we did NYU a lot last year" etc). A handful of schools get the most elite jobs and whatever remains goes to the best contenders from the "ok" programs.

I'm not interested in a debate. I've been around the block a few times by now. You can take what I say and use it or try to believe otherwise and proceed.

Whose reputation is a bit better? Poly or Rutgers?

@sidg

quick question:
"To accept our offer of admission, you are required to pay both a $3,000 non-refundable tuition deposit and a $700 non-refundable MQF activity fee within twenty-one (21) calendar days from the receipt of this e-mail. Please send a check (or money order) for $3,700.00 paid to the order of “Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey” to Office of Graduate Admissions, 1 Washington Park, Suite 124, Newark, NJ 07102."

Does it mean we have to mail the check to that address within 21 days??

@sidg

quick question:
"To accept our offer of admission, you are required to pay both a $3,000 non-refundable tuition deposit and a $700 non-refundable MQF activity fee within twenty-one (21) calendar days from the receipt of this e-mail. Please send a check (or money order) for $3,700.00 paid to the order of “Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey” to Office of Graduate Admissions, 1 Washington Park, Suite 124, Newark, NJ 07102."

Does it mean we have to mail the check to that address within 21 days??
Yes, you have to send them the check within 21 days for your admit. I have not done this yet. I shall do it next week since it has just been 12 days since my admit.

the fi desks of my place hiring PPL from all top 7 programs (however Princeton kids never accept our offers as far as the rumor goes). but some MD only want PPL from CMU, because its so easy to find qualified candidates from their program and they work like slaves!

the fi desks of my place hiring PPL from all top 7 programs (however Princeton kids never accept our offers as far as the rumor goes). but some MD only want PPL from CMU, because its so easy to find qualified candidates from their program and they work like slaves!

May I ask what company are you in? So your place don't hire ppl from other than the top 7 programs?

Back