• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

UCB MFE online C++ and Math for FE offered by UC Berkeley

So UC Berkeley offers online courses called C++ for Financial Engineers and Math Foundations for Financial Engineers. These courses are geared towards preparing ppl who want to do MSFE program, both at Berkeley and other schools. Since I haven't taken any programming classes in undergrad and the only math classes I have taken are Calc I-III, Linear Alg, Diff Eq, Econometric, Prob/Stats, will it be helpful for me to take these two online classes? They are quite expensive, and even if I get some tuition reimbursement thru my current employer, I still would need to shell out 1k for those classes. I would appreciate your thoughts/comments!

It's more of a revenue generating source for UCB than to qualify at UCB and other programs. You should look at it the other way; would UCB accept online courses you take elsewhere to meet the requirements?
If so, it would make more sense for you to take a local course which is cheaper and better than any online course can provide. If online is the only way you can take it, then shop around for cheaper alternatives.
I know UCB offers many prep courses for its applicants but I haven't seen any stats indicate that taking this will improve your chance significantly. I however hear many people saying it's expensive.

How much exactly it costs? What the courses cover?

This is the link for the online math course: Math Foundations for Financial Engineers - Master of Financial Engineering Program - Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley
This is the link for the online C++ course: C++ Programming for Financial Engineers - Master of Financial Engineering Program - Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley

They both look pretty legit to me. The thing is its hard for me to take classroom courses cuz I have work during the day, but like you said, classroom courses will probably better prepare me. But given the fact that I have already taken Cal I-III, Diff Eq, Prob/Stats, Econometrics, do I need to take more math classes?

Hi guys,

I have completed a BA in Economics and a Bsc in Math and will be attending an elemntary C++ course soon. Can someone tell me how no work experience and a non-engineering backround will afftect the likelihood of me getting admitted to a good university for MFE?

Back