• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Online MSC STEM course (e.g. Imperial/UPENN/UIUC/Dartmough) would they be worth it for my case?

recognized some online masters programme that sounds appealing :
Imperial MSC in Machine Learning and DS
UPEN Masters of Compute and IT
Dartmouth Meng in COmputer Engineering
UIUC MCS in Computer Science
Yes I just picked ones that has good brand names....some kind of vanity issues here lol

Just to give a brief background, I have a bachelor's degree in Math in my local university in APAC region, it's top 3 but still it's a bachelor, and my GPA is terrible(cGPA 3.4/4.0)
I have quant research internship at major fully systematic Hedgefund/Prop(one of Cubist/WQ/Squarepoint/Schonfeld/QRT/Jump/Tower), and I'm currently working as the systematic trader at the major BB. Including the internship and the FT role here I was/am the only having bachelor's degree, and all the former teammates here had at least Msc, ending up at top HFs/Props everyone knows for exit. I am thinking of exiting later as everyone does..., but the thing that get's me is that quite a few of the major funds for experienced quant researcher/trader prerequisites are having at least Masters Degree, and because of that about half of the opportunities are just gone for me.

So what I thought was that I could try to apply for those programs, and luckily get accepted to one of those, I can pursue the MSC while still working. Hoping this would actually help open door for some shops I couldn't even apply.

What makes me hesitate though, is how these programmes are viewed from them. Would they think they are just jokes and throw away the resume because I only have the pseudo masters program? OR are those program somewhat respected although nowhere near the FT ones, and would improve my current CV?

I'm thinking of applying for them this year so any insights would be welcome.

P.S) if that would be impossible, would it still sound sensible if I do those degree and make up for my terrible undergraduate GPA if I get nearly perfect GPA for these MSC programmes, in case I could apply for FT msc program in US later in life?

If it gives you the same msc qualification, I dont think they would really care. This might not be the case for new grads, and they may frown more on online programs but since you already have relevant experience I really dont think it would be an issue.

If it gives you the same msc qualification, I dont think they would really care. This might not be the case for new grads, and they may frown more on online programs but since you already have relevant experience I really dont think it would be an issue.
Hey thanks for your opinion. THey do give the same qualification, was hesitating because the tuition fee was not that cheap so was worried it would be a waste of time

Back