• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Online/Off-Site internship?

Hi,

After recent discussions about online courses I thought to myself, is there such a beast "online internship" or anything similar?

I work in the EDA industry today and a huge part of the work is done off-site, using Webex,Skype,emails etc keep you connected quite good so I was wondering if such a thing exist for internships too.

Thanks,
Ohad.

That is what I was hoping to do here.
An online internship at quantnet.com :D

Software industry is one where work can be done remotely. Google's Summer of Code comes to mind. I'm sure there are plenty open source projects where one can contribute hugely.

Don't think it's not a demanding job ;)

The problem with open-source is that your efforts won't be recognize and this won't help you land a job.

The problem with open-source is that your efforts won't be recognize and this won't help you land a job.

This is completely wrong. When working on an open-source project, most of the time you are in contact with end users, so your work is much more recognized than when writing software as a corporate drone. Sometimes, these contacts with end users could even land you a paid job, on a same project (yes - there exist number of situations when someone is willing to pay people to work on open-source project) or on something related. More often, though, is that just being able to show your code, when applying for an unrelated job, is providing you with huge advantage over other applicants that have to show only a paper stating they have experience with this and that.

This is completely wrong. When working on an open-source project, most of the time you are in contact with end users, so your work is much more recognized than when writing software as a corporate drone. Sometimes, these contacts with end users could even land you a paid job, on a same project (yes - there exist number of situations when someone is willing to pay people to work on open-source project) or on something related. More often, though, is that just being able to show your code, when applying for an unrelated job, is providing you with huge advantage over other applicants that have to show only a paper stating they have experience with this and that.

Notice that you're saying that SOMETIMES it MIGHT be a good opportunity.
What I think about is much more down to earth, doing some remote internship in a company/research where you can show your work/experience later and get credit for it 100% and not count on luck that maybe the piece of code I work on will get noticed.

Notice that you're saying that SOMETIMES it MIGHT be a good opportunity.
What I think about is much more down to earth, doing some remote internship in a company/research where you can show your work/experience later and get credit for it 100% and not count on luck that maybe the piece of code I work on will get noticed.

It is not about luck - it is about the quality of your code, and the effort you put into making your work on this code noticeable. So, in that regard it's the same thing as when you do your internship in a company. The difference is that the company won't allow you to show this code to anyone else, so what you get is (big maybe here) just a shot in this particular company (more often than not, you may end up disappointed throughout internship, either because of the dull type of work that they'll probably assign to you, or because you didn't liked your supervisor or the team, etc. etc. - so you may not be interested after all), and a bullet in your CV with not much to back it up. While on an open source project, you choose what you're going to work on (so much better probability that you're going to enjoy the work), and you end up with something that you're going to be able to show to any prospective employer throughout all of your career.

It is not about luck - it is about the quality of your code, and the effort you put into making your work on this code noticeable. So, in that regard it's the same thing as when you do your internship in a company. The difference is that the company won't allow you to show this code to anyone else, so what you get is (big maybe here) just a shot in this particular company (more often than not, you may end up disappointed throughout internship, either because of the dull type of work that they'll probably assign to you, or because you didn't liked your supervisor or the team, etc. etc. - so you may not be interested after all), and a bullet in your CV with not much to back it up. While on an open source project, you choose what you're going to work on (so much better probability that you're going to enjoy the work), and you end up with something that you're going to be able to show to any prospective employer throughout all of your career.

Do you know of any open-source Quant related projects?

Back