• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

OPT Duration for MFE Programs

Wowbagger

Earning Theta
Man, I seem to be on a roll when it comes to creating threads.

I wasn't able to find a thread that contained the OPT duration for different programs. Since this may be a very important factor for a lot of prospective international students, I request you to add to this thread any information that you may have.

I found that:

1. MIT's Master of Finance program has a normal 12 month OPT program and no STEM extension.
2. CMU's MS in Computational Finance program has 12 months OPT + 17 months STEM extension for e-verified employers.

Please add your observations/remarks.

Well that one doesn't quite tell me about the duration of any program except for Baruch MFE.

As far as I know, if you are in top tier university, you will be fine. What does extension have to do with that? I guess, it (getting H1B) depends on your nationality as well. Correct me, if I am wrong. Thank you.

It makes all the difference inthe world to my risk/return profile mate.

With 12m OPT and a December graduation, I get one attempt at an H1B. With 29m, I get three.

Dunno bout nationalities though. Will check and revert.

I totally understand 1 attempt and 3 attempts.

lets suppose, someone got rejected for his/her first attempt. Would he/she still be able to try again with the same profile?
I believe, Priencton, GTec programs come with 29 months.

I think a good starting point would be to assume you will qualify for STEM extensions if your degree will be a Master of Science and/or is hosted in a mathematics department. If this is so important in your decisions, you should confirm with the schools directly. Regarding the multiple attempts, I think it is more an issue of quotas as opposed to flat-out rejection. After 2008, the quotas were not an issue because of the decline in applications, but I'm not sure if the job market has picked up to start filling those quotas again. In an H1-B application, the nationality does not matter. Masters graduates also get the benefit of an additional quota in addition to the quota shared with bachelors graduates, however, I believe there's also a caveat there that the job for which you will be receiving your visa must require a masters degree and cannot be performed by a person with a bachelors degree in addition to proving that the company was unable to staff the position with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident applicant. None of this information is legal advice.

Back