• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Does anyone know how long is the OPT period for MFE graduate?

Who ever graduate with engineering degree gets 12 months + 18 moths extension. How does it work for MFE? same thing?
What about the placement for international students after graduation?

As far as I know, Engineering companies is not willing to do H1 visa process.

OPT is for international students only. If you have green card or US citizenship, this is not applicable to you.

check with the program and your i-20. Some schools have their programs listed under STEM, OPT is 12 months + 18 months. Otherwise it is 12 months.

I am not in MFE program so I don't have an I-20 yet. I just graduated with engineering degree.

Thank you Andy. It means financial world don't care about your status in US as long as if you performed well.

Aerospace engineering industries are very pick about this fact regardless of how you performed in school. Their first question is " Are you a US person? ordo you have green card?" I am bit cautious about this fact to choose school. Thanx a lot Andy

The fact is MFE programs are mostly populated by international students. And graduates from top programs have been able to secure jobs. This means visa is not an issue at the top percentile.
I can't make the same correlation for the rest of MFE programs.
You will find that Wall Street has a unique culture. As long as you can help the bottom line, everything else will be taken care of.

The fact is MFE programs are mostly populated by international students. And graduates from top programs have been able to secure jobs. This means visa is not an issue at the top percentile.
I can't make the same correlation for the rest of MFE programs.
You will find that Wall Street has a unique culture. As long as you can help the bottom line, everything else will be taken care of.

thank you Andy

Programs under the Math dept like Baruch MFE will be under STEM. Check to make sure.
It's a safety net which you shouldn't need if you go to a good program, do well and get a job offer by graduation.

Correct on both accounts - the Baruch MFE Program is a STEM Program - allowing you to extend your OPT to 29 months. That said, only one of our graduates ever needed this extension, financial companies are prompt in applying for H-1 visas for their employees.

Correct on both accounts - the Baruch MFE Program is a STEM Program - allowing you to extend your OPT to 29 months. That said, only one of our graduates ever needed this extension, financial companies are prompt in applying for H-1 visas for their employees.

Thank you so much. I am so glad to hear that.

Back