• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

OS and enrolment date for C++ course

lalugu

actuarial piggie
Hi Andy,

Just wonder when is the next enrolment date?

Is Window Visual C++ essential when taking online classes? I am a Mac user, can I work with XCode for the course?

I am a new PhD student (MathFin) from Sydney, need C++ urgently for my project

Hi @lagugu
The course is currently enrolling so you can join right away. Please follow the steps here
We have a couple students using XCode for the course and while it's possible for the first few levels, it's getting very frustrating to debug later on so they all converted to using Parallel/VM to install Win/VS2010 on their Mac.
Given our official support is for the Win/VS2010, it will be much easier for you if you use this same combo.

Thanks, Andy.

With the class attendance, can I take it anytime?
There is a huge time difference between US and Sydney and I cannot take them at standard US time, which is mid night here.

How does that affect the marking then? What do I need to explain to them when submitting HW/other assessment ?
Thanks

Thanks Andy !
Shall I go through level 1,2 , and get WIN/V2010 set up before I pay for the course?
It has been 4 year since I've done C and I haven't used it for long time.

Does that mean I need Linux, never use that before...(n)
Could you elaborate a bit how " Terminal + emacs + g++" does the same job as VS2010?
Sorry...I have vyvy little programming background, mainly used academic languages (matlab, R, mathematica) in the past 4 years....

Does that mean I need Linux, never use that before...(n)
Could you elaborate a bit how " Terminal + emacs + g++" does the same job as VS2010?
Sorry...I have vyvy little programming background, mainly used academic languages (matlab, R, mathematica) in the past 4 years....

emacs is an editor that programmers use instead of using an IDE (i.e. eclipse, visual studio etc). After writing the program using an editor, you can compile your cpp code by writing a makefile and using terminal and g++

Questions still...
1. Does the option Terimal, g++, and vi cause me less trouble than using Xcode, for ongoing concern?
2. As a beginner who knows nothing about C++, I was told VC is still the best IDE to learn C++,
and once become familiar with C++, then it would be quite easy to work with any other Mac types of IDE.
3. For Level 1&2, can I use XCode alone? I think I will get VC later on, when I decide to enrol in the course.

@lalugu
I should say that my comment above was a bit of a joke.
I'm quite experienced with programming, so I really do use Terminal, g++, and vi.
And I would label these tools as "expert-friendly." You want "beginner-friendly" tools.

For you, as a beginner, I would recommend getting Visual Studio as soon as possible.
The lecture videos show you step-by-step how to do stuff using Visual Studio.
So save yourself unnecessary frustration and let the maximum number of people help you.
Besides, I felt there were more operating-system-specific details in Levels 1 & 2 than the other levels I have worked through so far.

I highly recommend Virtualbox.
Super easy to use, free, and has spread like wildfire (lots of people use it now).
Regardless which virtual machine software you choose (virtualbox, parallels, etc), you will need a Windows installation CD and the Visual Studio installer (which I think you can get from Dreamspark if you are currently a student).

Back