Part time internship in spring semester

Hi,

Currently I am enrolling in Columbia MAFN program.I just got a part time internship as Quantitative Developer for a quantitative fixed income Hedge Fund in Midtown (around 400MM AUM) for the spring semester. Is it advisable to work 20h a week and take 5 courses at the same time. I know it is a stretch but some elective courses are only offered during the spring semester.

Is this internship a good boost for my resume if I want to do find quant research/modelling job in the future?

Best regards,
Jeremy

While your internship might bring about slightly lower grades, it will significantly enhance your resumé:

Nobody cares whether you score 85% or 80% in a test. On the other hand, work experience makes you more appetising than freshly baked cinnamon buns.

Go for it.

5 courses, that's like 15 credits hours right?
if that's the case, I would not recommend taking that many courses with the internship unless you're a straight A student. I'm assuming you've not done this before, and you don't know what you're getting yourself into.
It's not easy to keep a job and do hard math on the side. The MAFN will land you internships once you're done with it, you shouldn't potentially jeopardize your academic experience for a 4-5 months wait until summer.

Back