• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

part time vs full time, advice needed

Hi all,

I'm currently working at a well known investment bank in an IT/Analytics role. My group is responsible for risk, valuation, and analytics for the credit default swap business. Even though I sit on the trading floor, I don't have much interaction with the business. I'm trying to move into a more challenging role where I'm more involved in the business, ideally a trading role.

Through the firm's internal mobility program, I had an interview for junior trader on the EM Hybrids desk. I didn't get the job; the interview went well, but they were looking for someone with more experience in stochastic calculus.

Now I'm thinking I'll need to get more education if I want to move into a trading role. I'm trying to decide between a full time and part time MS program. I think I'm a reasonable candidate for either program. I recently took GRE's, and scored a 800Q/650V, but my undergrad GPA of 3.4 will probably hurt me (I graduated in 2003). I weigh the pro's and con's of each program:

part time

• (+) financial: work will pay for some if not all of it and I don't lose my salary.
  • (+) can start soon. It's possible to get into a program that start September 2010. I'd be looking at the NYU MS FinMath program.
  • (+) career: I'm a candidate to make VP at the end of this year, which I'm confident I'll get. If I go to school, I won't get hired at VP level.
  • (-) trading opportunities don't come around very often in the internal mobility program. I did get one interview, but don't think it's very likely I'll get another.
full time

• (+) network & career services: can utilize university facilities for job placement
  • (-) can't start soon: would be looking at entry for September 2011. I'm 27, I'd be 29 by September 2011. Feels kind of old to be in school.
It really depends on how likely I'm going to be able to land a trading job after after a full time program. I went to a big name engineering school for undergrad, and didn't get a job through the university upon graduation. Granted, I did graduate with a computer engineering degree in the midst of the DotCom crash, but I was clearly unimpressed with the university career services.

Just wondering if anyone has any comments / advice.

thx.

they were looking for someone with more experience in stochastic calculus.
learn stochastic calculus and take the interview again.
part time will take three years to complete. even if you do part-time you will be trying for internal mobility. your university will not find you a job.

Part time. You will miss out on some of the career services but can still network with professors and other students. Plus the added experience will be a bonus if you decide to look for another job elsewhere after the program.
You will network with professors and other students even if you do full time. These guys will not help you find a job. Other students will be busy looking for jobs.

Back