• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Patronus' introduction and queries

Hi - I am new to this forum and its very intresting to meet all the MFE aspiranats out here :)

First things first, I have a few queries about the program. The websites are pretty informative, but first hand opinion from students who are pursuing/have pursued ths course, will make be of tremendous help to most of us aspirants out here I am sure.

1.) What kind of job profiles can one expect after th completion of the MFE degree?

2.) In reality, is the MFE program too heavily involved in finance or programming or is it a proper mix of both?

3.) As someone who has been through the whole process of the degree, what woudl you say are the pre-requisites for any aspirant to have?

4.) As an aspirant, what should I expect from this program?

My profile follows:

My profile: GRE: Verbal: 750 / Quant: 800 / AWA 5.0
TOEFL: 276 (CBT)
GPA: 3.16 / 4.0 (B.E. degree in Electrical and Electronics Engg)
Experience: Working as a software engineer in the telecom domain for the past 24 months.

My grades in maths are not all that fantastic. will that have a bearing on my admit to this program? How can I make up for the same?

Thanks for your time

Hi Patronus,
Welcome to Quantnet. I'm sure you have never heard of Baruch MFE program before and came to this community via referral on GD forum right ? First step in the right direction :)

As a current student in the program and a soon to be graduate, I'll give you couple of pointers and hopefully others can add more as they see fit.
1) If you look at the website, Baruch College's Financial Engineering MS Program
you will have some ideas of the kind of employers and positions our graduates obtain. They move on to more senior or front office positions after a while. A trend I notice is that majority of our recent graduates end up in structured finance/trading/risk management. Seems like that the strength of our program.

2)It's a proper mix of not 2 but 3 components:math/finance/programming. Don't underestimate the rigorousness of the math courses. Some of the most difficult courses in our program are Stochastic calculus (2 semesters). Lot of people failed those courses.
It's a well-balanced of programming that applied to finance applications.

3) A willingness to work hard, love to learn, a team player, smart and don't have an attitude. That would be a profile of someone that will succeed in our program. Of courses, you have to have great scores, have all the requirements to get in. Once you get in, definitely take all the refresher courses.

4) As an applicant to our program, here are what you can expect
  • Great education, an internship, a job and a great career on Wall Street
  • A family of close friends and very supportive network of alumni, faculty and staff
  • A very satisfying and unique experience while you study here
Of course, as a student in our program, you have to meet our expectation as well (study hard and put 110% effort into everything). The expectations rise every year as the quality of our incoming class keeps rising.

You do have good GRE score, so will your competitors. Best of luck.

Back