• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Payoff of Hedge fund strategies

Hello all, I am new here. I am doing my MBA(Fin) and am right now in the second year. Would greatly appreciate if some of you could have a look at the following questions and give your comments. I'll post the answers soon. :)

1. The payoff of some hedge fund strategies is commonly identified with the payoff of option strategies.
The payoff of a long look-back straddle correspond best to the payoff of
a. A trend following strategy.
b. A fixed-income arbitrage strategy.
c. A fixed-income convergence strategy.
d. A spread trading strategy.

2. Which of the following is not a limitation of using the Capital Asset Pricing Model to measure equity
requirements for operational risk?
a. Measurement error in separately measuring levered and un-levered beta.
b. Time lags in variables like tax and regulation being reflected in historical beta estimates.
c. Requires detailed knowledge of profit and loss accounting to go from beta to a specific measure
of operational risk.
d. All of the above.

I think the answer for first one is A since you look for directional movement.

Thanks Muting, this is exactly what I thought too. However,
Answer: c
Reference:
William Fung and David Hsieh, "The Risk in Fixed-Income Hedge Fund Strategies", Journal of Fixed
Income 12, 6-27 (2002)

What are your thoughts on the other question?

Back