• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE PLz point out my weakness in applying MFE @Baruch?

Hi, everyone.

I'm a Chinese girl. I just got rejected from Baruch MFE. Bummer!

I really love this program. So I hope I can get some feedback about my shortcomings and improve myself.

My background:

Undergraduate: Tsinghua University. Mathemetics and Physics.
Overall GPA 3.2 Major 3.45
No internship(This is a shortcoming, right?)
T 106( R29 L 30 S 20 W 27) The speaking section is relatively low.
relative courses taken: Algebra, Mathematics Analysis,Probability, C++,Media Micoreconomics, econometrics,Introduction of financial engineering, Accounting.

self-studied:Stochastic
Two Scholarship

Some seminar experiences with professors in School of economics and management in my university. But no paper.

I hope you can give some feedback about my candidacy for this program.
And is there anyone know about reapplication process?

Thank you ;)

Your profile is really ok. The problem might be that other candidates have more work experience 3++ years or maybe even PhDs...

@Martin Baruch claims that they consider the applicant individually. If you possess enough capability, you will get the offer without considering other applicants.

GPA is low. GRE score?

For relevant courses you don't list very many. Either you have not taken much math or you are not "selling" the classes you have taken; basically I mean you need to find a relevance or connection between quantitative finance and the math/physic classes you have taken.

I don't know enough about the TOEFL to tell you whether that hurt you or not.

Having a published paper will not directly help you (MFE is not PhD) but could help you standout some.

A relevant internship would help, but not having an internship is not the sole reason you were not accepted.

You list 1 C++ class but can you program? If yes, how did you demonstrate this ability through your application?

You should ask the MFE program what the admissions committee thought your weaknesses were. Send an email, last I heard the program had intentions of answering them once they finish working through the record number of applications that were received this year...

@ Connor
Normally, we couldn't receive a high grade in Mathematics courses. I received higher grades from economic and finance courses.

My GRE:
V 630 Q 800 AW 3

courses: Mathematics Analysis(3 terms)
Algebra( 3 terms)
Probability
Differential Equations
Complex Analysis
Numericial Analysis

While, I really don't know how to sell these courses. In my opinion, all the Math/physic courses prepare me with analytical skills and a systemic way of thinking. When learning Eco/Finace courses, I associate it with Math/Physic models.

Surely I can program using C++. Also I've used Matlab to solve PDE.

After reading your reply, I think my weakness is my PS. Sigh~ Thx for sharing your opinion.

GPA is low. GRE score?

For relevant courses you don't list very many. Either you have not taken much math or you are not "selling" the classes you have taken; basically I mean you need to find a relevance or connection between quantitative finance and the math/physic classes you have taken.

I don't know enough about the TOEFL to tell you whether that hurt you or not.

Having a published paper will not directly help you (MFE is not PhD) but could help you standout some.

A relevant internship would help, but not having an internship is not the sole reason you were not accepted.

You list 1 C++ class but can you program? If yes, how did you demonstrate this ability through your application?

@Alexei
I sent emails to program directors, but there is no reply.:( May I write another email? Is there other way I can get feedback?
Only CMU replied, they said that I should wait until June.
However, I really need feedback now. So I can improve myself right now.

You should ask the MFE program what the admissions committee thought your weaknesses were. Send an email, last I heard the program had intentions of answering them once they finish working through the record number of applications that were received this year...

Your profile is good. Top university in China and a quantitative major. But your GPA is not very high. As a fresh graduate, you don't have any related work experience. Sometimes GPA is an important weight to you. Getting some good internship experience in financial firms may help you stand out.

@Alexei
I sent emails to program directors, but there is no reply.:( May I write another email? Is there other way I can get feedback?
Only CMU replied, they said that I should wait until June.
However, I really need feedback now. So I can improve myself right now.

I know Dan (and the committee) is super busy right now, trying to get through the record number of applications. You should wait till the end of April or beginning of May and schedule a meeting with him to go over your application. I am sure he will point out where you can improve your application and be a stronger candidate next year. Not sure if you had taken any of the pre-MFE classes, but if possible, I would highly recommend them as well.

Send us an email on May 1st and we will reply with ways to improve your candidacy for next year.

I know Dan (and the committee) is super busy right now, trying to get through the record number of applications. You should wait till the end of April or beginning of May and schedule a meeting with him to go over your application. I am sure he will point out where you can improve your application and be a stronger candidate next year. Not sure if you had taken any of the pre-MFE classes, but if possible, I would highly recommend them as well.

I got a reply from Brauch and said I should wait until May.
What do you mean by pre-MFE classes? Can I take them online?

Personal essay is a very underestimated part of everyone's application. I have dinged many applications with high scores who seem to put their thoughts into essay in 5 minutes. In many cases, it's the make or break part of one profile as everyone seems to have 800Q and similar scores these days.
Thank you! I think I need polish my Personal essay. Any suggestions?

Well from the Baruch website:
Personal Essay. Applicants should touch upon the following topics:
  • Why are you interested in Financial Engineering?
  • Why do you want to study in the Financial Engineering MS Program at Baruch College?
  • What career path do you envision after graduating from the MFE Program?

These questions are pretty straightforward. My advice would be to show in your essays that you have done your research and thought about your answers. For example, for your career path don't just say that you want to start a hedge fund; try to show that you have researched the path/backgrounds of current hedge fund managers and explain how the Baruch MFE will help you in each step of your career path up to and beyond your ultimate career goal.

I got a reply from Brauch and said I should wait until May.
What do you mean by pre-MFE classes? Can I take them online?

The pre-MFE classes are not online. Here is the link for more info.

Thanks for the useful tips:)

Well from the Baruch website:

These questions are pretty straightforward. My advice would be to show in your essays that you have done your research and thought about your answers. For example, for your career path don't just say that you want to start a hedge fund; try to show that you have researched the path/backgrounds of current hedge fund managers and explain how the Baruch MFE will help you in each step of your career path up to and beyond your ultimate career goal.

Back