• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pricing a 1-year OTM caplet with 1-year tenor

Hi all,

I am trying to price and assess the impact on 1-year adjustable-rate mortgage bonds due to a new regulation that implements a short position in a 1-year caplet for the investor. The mortgage bond is extended by 1 year in case the interest rate on the ARM bond increase by more than 5 percantage point since last refinancing (I know the likelihood is very little).

Say, the rate is 1% at a given refinancing. At the next refinancing it is 7%. The bond is extended and the short position in the caplet [max(7%-(1+5%)] implies an interest rate to the bond investor for the extended year of 6%.

To price this caplet I want the volatility of the forward rate and I just want to look at e.g. EURIBOR to get an idea of the likelihood of a 5% increase from market data. I have access to Bloomberg and used the functions < VCUB > and < VOLS > to find relevant data, but it seems I cannot retrieve data on caplet volatilities of 1-year tenor.

I plan to use the above data in Black's Model and possibly SABR Model to arrive at a premium for a strike there is +5% the previous 12m EURIBOR.

So basically I need to:

1a) Find a relevant caplet volatility that resets in 1 year and pays in 2 years.

OR

1b) Alternatively I can maybe find the caplet volatility of a caplet resetting in 1 year and based on the 6m EURIBOR and then use methods to estimate the volatility of the 12m EURIBOR forward - Maybe I can use this article? http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2204702
In < VCUB > I change the 'Strike' dropdown to 'Tenor' and change the tenor to 6MO to get a grid of caplet volatilities. Are these correct for the purpose? (see picture)

2) The volatilites in < VCUB > are only stated for 4%, 5%, ..., 14%. Thus, I need to interpolate to get a strike exactly 5 percentage point above the choosen strike. Which interpolation methods do you recommend in this case?

P.S.
Sorry for my english and for possible stupid questions. I have only had a few quant courses and have no experience with the market (i.e. knowing what is traded and what is not). I have read a lot on these forums, in books and articles but am stuck at this point so I hope you can help out.

Back