• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

pricing exotic options

Lun

from wiki, I find the following description

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volatility_smile

"Modelling the volatility smile is an active area of research in quantitative finance. Typically, a quantitative analyst will calculate the implied volatility from liquid vanilla options and use models of the smile to calculate the price of more exotic options."

my question is how I can use models of the smile to calculate the price of more exotic options ?

Well, are there good books or resources in the internet for this topic ?

Thanks !

Thank you very much for the resources.

Do you mean that I can replicate the exotic option with static hedging, and use the static replicating portfolio to valuate the exotic option ?

For having a static replicating portfolio, a number of standard options are needed, and that's why a (model for) smile is needed. Am I right ?

If I'm in the wrong direction, pls correct me, thanks !

According to the work of Derman, exotic options can be statically replicated by a number of standard options for pricing, but smile is not mentioned in the pricing. I can't see the relationship between exotic option pricing and smile, can anyone help ?

smile is captured in the prices of standard options. if ur exotic can be replicated with vanilas then price of the exotic will be equal to the price of replicating portfolio and be smile consistent. in some instances exotic cannot be staticly hedged and would require u to rebalance ur hedges in vanilas giving u exposure to the dynamics of the smile which u might consider modelling

Back