• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile assesment European student

I am from East Europe and from a top uni of my country, my department and school is well known across europe. I am currently in my fourth year studying economics. I am planing to apply in the next fall semester. In my university American grading system applies. The letter grades are in order: A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+ and D. These are all passing grades. A- is 3.7, B+ is 3.30 and B is 3.0 on a scale of 4.
My overall GPA is : 3.57
GRE or GMAT: Will be taken.
Bsc. Thesis:
Sexual Health Economics in Emerging countries ( It includes Panel Data analysis of the data of 40 country, it was a quantitative research, I got A).
My math classes are : Calculus 1 (A-),
Calculus 2 (A),
Linear Algebra and Differential Equations (They are in the same course 8 weeks Linear Algebra up to Diagonalisation of Matrices and Applications in Linear Algebra and up to Variation of Parameters in DE. I got B+),
Mathematics for Economists (Euclidean vector spaces, Karush Kuhn Tucker optimization, A-)
Probability and Statistics 1 (It is written as Succesfull in my transcript because of the pandemics but I passed it with B+),
Probability and Statistics 2 (A),
Econometrics 1 ( B+),
Econometrics 2 (Time series models, Arch, Garch A-)
My economics classes are very calculus oriented: Macroeconomic Theory 1 (A),
Macroeconomic Theory 2 (B),
Microeconomic Theory (A-),
Introduction to Accounting (A-),
Introduction to Management Science (A-),
Programming and Finance courses are: Introduction to programing with MATLAB (B+),
Computing and Programming with Python (We learned searching,sorting algorithms, OOP, Matlab, Numpy, loops, I got B+),
Applied Data Analysis with R (We learned both the theory and application of ML models such as logistic regression, data transformation, KNN and support vector machines, I learned EDA and data analysis methods, in the exams we implemented the methods we learned, unfortunatelIy I got B),
Corporate Finance ( A-),
Introduction to Financial Engineering (We started from binomial models and came to Black Scholes, heston volatility model, we learned the application of stochastic calculus in finance, I got B+),
Internships: One at an insurance company, one at a startup where we tried to build a market neutral portfolio composed of cryptocurrencies, I sharpened my Python skills there. I worked 2 months. And my third internship was a month in Ministry of Treasury and Finance of my country. It did not include much quantitative finance but I learned data visualization tables such as Power BI and ggplot2 deeply.
Reference letters: I can get a very concrete letter from my statistics professor, he knows me very well, he can talk about my statistics and programming (generally R and Stata) skills very well. I can also get a letter from my advisor in the Treasury of Finance, he can talk about my data analysis skills deeply. He has a Msc from University of Columbia. I can also get a letter from my corporate finance proffessor. He knows my quantative skills and my eagerness to learn finance.
Target Schools and deparments:
University of Chicago Quantitative Finance,
Columbia University Quantitative Finance,
ETH Zurich Quant Finance,
ETH Zurich Data Science,
ETH Zurich Statistics,
EPFL Financial Engineering,
EPFL Data Science,
EPFL Statistics,
Wien University of Economics Quantitative Finance

I think courses and skills I accumulated during my 3 year bachelors prepares me well for each of the 3 different msc programs. I am interested in math and programming, msc in statistics or Data Science also appeals to me a lot. I am indifferent between finance, DS and statistics, each of them makes me happy. I would like to know about my chances. Thanks for your comments, suggestions and your time.

Your grades are okay and your work experience seems interesting (to me). I would say you have a decent chance of getting in but if you also want a scholarship, that is less likely

btw, I replied to you because I also posted a question and didn't get any responses, probably since my post had too much text

I think your post also has too much text, so in future I would say to put your question right at the beginning, and give fewer details unless people ask for them

Your grades are okay and your work experience seems interesting (to me). I would say you have a decent chance of getting in but if you also want a scholarship, that is less likely

btw, I replied to you because I also posted a question and didn't get any responses, probably since my post had too much text

I think your post also has too much text, so in future I would say to put your question right at the beginning, and give fewer details unless people ask for them
I would prefer ETH or EPFL rather than actually USA schools. I think I might have a better chance for the european schools.

I could not find multi variable calculus ( I guess it could be calc 1 or 2). From what I have seen your grades are alright but I am not familiar with European schools and their grading system. Perhaps it is a little low compared to some schools who report GPA. Also, make sure your last year grades are top notch, that is always good.

My only piece of advice is to write good statements of purpose. Think about it, everyone here wants a job in finance. All qualified students will have terrific grades, 92 percentile + in standardized test… so a statement of purpose is how you can stand out, unless you are super star, then you always stand out. Good luck in your applications!

Back