• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation for Fall 2025 MFE

Hi everyone, I am expected to graduate next summer. I’d like to see my chances of getting into top programs and what I should focus on in my remaining year, such as conducting research or participating in internships.

Education: Taiwan top 3 undergraduate
Major: Mathematics, Quantitative Finance
GPA: 3.7 on 4.3 scale
Coursework:
Math: ODE, PDE, Linear Algebra I & II, Multi Calc I & II, Calc I & II, Numerical Analysis, Abstract Algebra, Stochastic Process, Discrete Mathematics, Complex Analysis​
Stats: Statistics I & II, Mathematical Statistics, Probability Theory, Statistical Data analysis, Business Analysis using Computational Statistics​
Finance: Derivatives Market, Derivates Pricing, Computational Finance, Financial Management, Corporate Finance, Financial Decision, Intermediate Accounting​
Economics: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Financial Economics​
CS: Python Programming C & C++, Programming Python, Data Structure and Algorithms, Machine Learning, Financial Big Data​
Languages: Python, C++, C, R
Experience:
  1. One QR internship at a small robo-advisor company
  2. One R&D internship at TSMC
Research & Project:
  1. One on-campus RA with Heston model calibration and VIX call pricing, no publications
Other EC:
  1. TA for linear algebra and computational finance
  2. Working holiday in Japan
Concerns: poor GPA; working experience is not quite competitive

Thanks!

Do you mean US MFE, UK MFE, Continental MFE's?

Which programs are you targeting?

I think you've got a good chance for somewhere in the top 10, no reason it shouldn't be top 5.
US MFE, Princeton’s MFin and Columbia’s MAFN will be my top priorities. Additionally, I’d like to ask for advice on how to compensate for my low GPA.

Well, there isn't much you can do for that now. However, the courses you took represent far more knowledge than the average applicant. None of us know if you'll get into Princeton for Columbia's program, but I wish you the best of luck.

On the face of things, I'd assume they won't see your GPA as very low. Your school is clearly very rigorous, take heart.

Back