• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile evaluation for Financial Engineering application

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of applying for master programs in financial mathematics/ financial engineering/OR, and my target are: Cornell University (Operations Research), University of Chicago, NYU (FE), Johns Hopkins University.

I would like to give some of my stats as below:

Education: Graduated from an University in Southeast Asia with a major in Finance. GPA: 3.8/4.0 (top 5% - Dean's list honored)
I have taken the following online mathematics and computer science courses for credits (all with A's): Multivariate Calculus, Abstract Linear Algebra, Calculus-based Probability Theory, Engineering Statistics, Econometrics, Introduction to Computer Science using Python.

Work experience: 2 years working as a Quant Risk Analyst at a big commercial bank in my country.

Test Scores:
GRE General: V: 156, Q: 166, AWA: 3.5
GRE Subject Mathematics: 770 (73%) -> I haven't taken any mathematics courses at my undergraduate institution. I study math myself to prepare for this exam.
IELTS: 7.5

Others : Passed CFA level II. Completed several Coursera and edX courses. Currently doing research with a final year PhD student at Harvard about Quant Macroeconomics.

Questions:
Do I stand a chance of getting admission from these prestigious schools?
Should I submit my Subject Test Score? Is my score too low for these schools?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back