• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation for MFE 2025

Hello all. Hope you are doing well.

I wanted to get a review on my profile for the MFE programs at top universities in US and UK.

Education History:
1. I hold an MBA with 2 majors Finance and Analytics from IIM. 2019-2021
Subjects:
Finance -
Financial Analytics using R, Financial Risk Management using R, Portfolio Management, Trading and Market Microstructure, Econometrics, Business Valuation.
Analytics - Business Analysis, Data Visualization, Decision Science, Market Research, Marketing Analytics, Machine Learning.

2. Post which I did a B.Sc in Programming and Data Science from IIT, 9.2 CGPA India 2022 - 2024 (Completed it early):
Subjects and grades:

Linear Algebra - S, Advanced Probability - S, Machine Learning Mathematics - S, Deep Learning Mathematics - A, Full Stack Development - S, Data Structures and Algorithms - S, Linux - S, Python - S, C - A, Java - S, SQL with 10/10 grade is most of them. The course was very hands on too in these things with major coding components.

Experience:
1. I also have work experience of 3 years as a Data Analyst.

Bsc after IIM MBA ? what is your undergrad if i may ask ??

Equation is simple - Programming/Maths/Finance/Work experience. 4 pillars to consider. Identify weaklinks and ensure you should be strong in atleast 2/4. Programs are short, hence you wont have time to recover weaklinks.

I see good healthy CV points in your profile above. All the best !

Definitely enquire job stats with latest alum, before you apply.

I am assuming the B.Sc from IIT is the online one?

Based on what you’ve mentioned, I honestly do not think your profile is too competitive for anything within the top 10. You might get in somewhere but it’s pretty ambitious imo. Apply to some safety schools.

I am assuming the B.Sc from IIT is the online one?

Based on what you’ve mentioned, I honestly do not think your profile is too competitive for anything within the top 10. You might get in somewhere but it’s pretty ambitious imo. Apply to some safety schools.
It is online but exams are all proctored in centre.

Bsc after IIM MBA ? what is your undergrad if i may ask ??

Equation is simple - Programming/Maths/Finance/Work experience. 4 pillars to consider. Identify weaklinks and ensure you should be strong in atleast 2/4. Programs are short, hence you wont have time to recover weaklinks.

I see good healthy CV points in your profile above. All the best !

Definitely enquire job stats with latest alum, before you apply.
Hi Phani,

I feel pretty good with Programming, Mathematics, Work ex. Finance is a bit rusty now since I did not work in the field. But a quick read is enough to get me upto speed as I did well in my Masters. I am actually looking at these programs to become upto date and connect all the blocks together now and go beyond what the programs have to offer.

I’m familiar with the program. As I said, I really do not think you have a competitive profile for any of the top 10 programs. This is what these programs largely look for:
1. Academic Excellence: Your performance in the BSc Program won’t help you anymore than highlighting that you’ve taken online courses to cover pre-req. It is not the same as a BTech or similar degree from an IIT. As for an IIM, an MBA isn’t really relevant for these programs. If it is a top IIM (ABCLKI), might help. If not, your academics just aren’t up to scratch whatsoever for these programs.
2. Work Experience: Data Analyst isn’t anything that will give you too many brownie points either. Unless your work has been quite relevant to quant and/or you’ve created huge impact through your work, again not a section where you’ll score high.
3. Career Goals: Almost all programs and applications ask for your specific career goals post graduation, your motivation to get into that particular position, what steps have you taken to progress your career towards these goals, and how will the program help you get there. From what you’ve written, I don’t think there’s much you can do here either.

The top programs are hyper competitive, so I think you are being too ambitious here. The 20ish% acceptance rate might lead you to believe that they may not be very competitive but keep in mind that MFEs are very niche and most applicants to these programs already have at least some
exposure to quantitative finance, unlike generalist degrees like an MBA where people with all sorts of backgrounds are applying. IMHO, you could either temper your expectations and aim for lower ranked programs or take some time to get relevant work ex and build your profile based on that. Not discouraging you from applying to top programs. Just iterating that it would be prudent to apply to lower ranked schools as well.
It is online but exams are all proctored in centre.

Last edited:
I’m familiar with the program. As I said, I really do not think you have a competitive profile for any of the top 10 programs. This is what these programs largely look for:
1. Academic Excellence: Your performance in the BSc Program won’t help you anymore than highlighting that you’ve taken online courses to cover pre-req. It is not the same as a BTech or similar degree from an IIT. As for an IIM, an MBA isn’t really relevant for these programs. If it is a top IIM (ABCLKI), might help. If not, your academics just aren’t up to scratch whatsoever for these programs.
2. Work Experience: Data Analyst isn’t anything that will give you too many brownie points either. Unless your work has been quite relevant to quant and/or you’ve created huge impact through your work, again not a section where you’ll score high.
3. Career Goals: Almost all programs and applications ask for your specific career goals post graduation, your motivation to get into that particular position, what steps have you taken to progress your career towards these goals, and how will the program help you get there. From what you’ve written, I don’t think there’s much you can do here either.

The top programs are hyper competitive, so I think you are being too ambitious here. The 20ish% acceptance rate might lead you to believe that they may not be very competitive but keep in mind that MFEs are very niche and most applicants to these programs already have at least some
exposure to quantitative finance, unlike generalist degrees like an MBA where people with all sorts of backgrounds are applying. IMHO, you could either temper your expectations and aim for lower ranked programs or take some time to get relevant work ex and build your profile based on that.
Thank you Arohan.

JEE is not the only way to access good quality education. Our country has been crippled by lack of good quality education, far too long and institutes are working towards changing that.

IITM provides finest quality courses and makes them accessible which are more relevant than many many IIT branches. E.g. IITM Data Science would be chosen over IIT Civil, Mech, don't you think? In fact they even won Wharton QS Silver award. It's not just online only BTW, after first year many full time students are living on campus and working on research with profs.

Our batch just had few students some double digit out of 1lakh able to finish the tough curriculum and some are getting admits in Harvard, MIT as well. Not Quant though but what they had interest in. So, let's see. What you say may not have been tested yet by anyone from this program.

I will keep a safety net as you suggest, but apply still. I have been working towards this from past 5 years after all.

Last edited:
Thank you Arohan.

JEE is not the only way to access good quality education. Our country has been crippled by lack of good quality education, far too long and institutes are working towards changing that.

IITM provides finest quality courses and makes them accessible which are more relevant than many many IIT branches. E.g. IITM Data Science would be chosen over IIT Civil, Mech, don't you think? In fact they even won Wharton QS Silver award. It's not just online only BTW, after first year many full time students are living on campus and working on research with profs.

Our batch just had few students some double digit out of 1lakh able to finish the tough curriculum and some are getting admits in Harvard, MIT as well. Not Quant though but what they had interest in. So, let's see. What you say may not have been tested yet by anyone from this program.

I will keep a safety net as you suggest, but apply still. I have been working towards this from past 5 years after all.
I never commented on the quality of education or the rigour of the BSc degree. I’m sure it would be quite rigorous given its IITM that’s administering it. What I am trying to highlight is that you might not be realising the truth of the point that you are making. Grads from places like IIT/BITS/ISI etc. do not fair well in admission cycle’s because they are from these unis. They fair well in them because of the opportunities afforded to them by virtue of them attending these unis. Almost all applicants who get admits from these unis will have excellent internships, research, and full time employment opportunities. It’s these things which help them get in, not just the fact that they are from an IIT. It is very rare to find Indian candidates (even ones from IITs) in these top programs who haven’t had good quality relevant work ex or excellent internships/research etc.

In your case, you just don’t have these (or if you do, you haven’t highlighted them). Your profile is completely comprised of the supposed ‘tags’ you have from ‘IIT’ and ‘IIM’ and I am merely highlighting that these just don’t work. So, if anything, you are defeating your own point with your reasoning. Yes, JEE is not the only way of getting quality education and opportunities and the IIT tag isn’t everything. But you really don’t have anything in your profile going for you apart from these. And purely in terms of tag, the BSc degree will give you no advantage whatsoever just because it has IIT stamped on it. Nor do I see any strong motivation for pursuing a career in quant that you have highlighted in your question. Without these, I really do not see how you can have even a somewhat competitive profile for any top program. If you are really serious about making it to top programs, get some relevant work ex and figure out a clear career goal and path.

I never commented on the quality of education or the rigour of the BSc degree. I’m sure it would be quite rigorous given its IITM that’s administering it. What I am trying to highlight is that you might not be realising the truth of the point that you are making. Grads from places like IIT/BITS/ISI etc. do not fair well in admission cycle’s because they are from these unis. They fair well in them because of the opportunities afforded to them by virtue of them attending these unis. Almost all applicants who get admits from these unis will have excellent internships, research, and full time employment opportunities. It’s these things which help them get in, not just the fact that they are from an IIT. It is very rare to find Indian candidates (even ones from IITs) in these top programs who haven’t had good quality relevant work ex or excellent internships/research etc.

In your case, you just don’t have these (or if you do, you haven’t highlighted them). Your profile is completely comprised of the supposed ‘tags’ you have from ‘IIT’ and ‘IIM’ and I am merely highlighting that these just don’t work. So, if anything, you are defeating your own point with your reasoning. Yes, JEE is not the only way of getting quality education and opportunities and the IIT tag isn’t everything. But you really don’t have anything in your profile going for you apart from these. And purely in terms of tag, the BSc degree will give you no advantage whatsoever just because it has IIT stamped on it. Nor do I see any strong motivation for pursuing a career in quant that you have highlighted in your question. Without these, I really do not see how you can have even a somewhat competitive profile for any top program. If you are really serious about making it to top programs, get some relevant work ex and figure out a clear career goal and path.
I have other things aswell. Did not want to highlight everything here on the forum.

I have other things aswell. Did not want to highlight everything here on the forum.
In that case, best of luck. But it’s extremely stupid to seek a profile review and not mention what actually makes your profile competitive. It’s a waste of time for both you and anyone else who might be reviewing.

Anyway, best of luck.

Back