• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation for MSFE US and Europe (Fall '24)

Hi everyone,

Based on my profile, could you please assess my chances of acceptance into any of these programs? If not, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for other schools to consider.
  • Imperial MathFin
  • ETH and EPFL Quant Programs
  • UChicago MSFM
  • UCB Haas MFE
  • CMU
  • Columbia MAFN
  • Oxford Computational Finance
Profile:
Education:

• BEng in Mechanical Engineering with a Minor in Finance from BITS Pilani (a Tier 1 College in India)
  • GPA: 8.45/10.
  • GRE: Quantitative - 167, Verbal - 152, AWA - 3.5.

Work Experience:

• Currently employed as a Quantitative Analyst in the Market Risk Modelling team at Credit Suisse since January 2023.
  • 6-month internship as a Risk Analyst at Credit Suisse
  • 9-month PT internship with an Algo Trading Startup.
  • Engaged in several short-term internships related to finance, data science, and crypto.
Research:

• Published two papers in journals; one on a mathematical classification model and the other as its extension and application in finance.
  • Completed a 6-month research internship with a professor at UNSW, Australia.
LORS:

• 1 from manager at Credit Suisse, 1 from college economics and finance prof. 1 from IIT Prof (with whom I have 2 publications). Can request a LOR from UNSW prof as well.
Relevant Courses during UGrad:

Math :
  • Differential Equations: 10/10
  • Linear Algebra: 10/10
  • Probability & Statistics: 8/10
  • Calculus 1: 6/10
Finance:
  • Fundamentals of Finance & Accounting : 10/10
  • Derivatives & Risk Management: 10/10
  • Financial Management : 8/10
  • Security Analysis & Portfolio Management: 9/10
Thank you for your valuable advice.

You need some C++ programming certificate or course on your profile. Take the QuantNet C++ course. It's the preferred choice for many MFE applicants.
Calculus 1 with 6/10 and GRE Q of 167 don't look too good. Even many programs do not require GRE these days, you may want to beef up your math courses a bit. Since you are working, probably take online math courses and score A. Calculus 1, 2 or whatever each program requires. Will take some time but should be doable because they are not that hard.
Apply to more programs in the US and UK.

You need some C++ programming certificate or course on your profile. Take the QuantNet C++ course. It's what the preferred choice for many MFE applicants.
Calculus 1 with 6/10 and GRE Q of 167 don't look too good. Even many programs do not require GRE these days, you may want to beef up your math courses a bit. Since you are working, probably take online math courses and score A. Calculus 1, 2 or whatever each program requires. Will take some time but should be doable because they are not that hard.
Thanks a lot for your feedback. In college I had C++ program where I scored 8/10. Are there any particular math programs that you are aware of that can help with my profile (the ones that hold recognition in applications ).

You need some C++ programming certificate or course on your profile. Take the QuantNet C++ course. It's the preferred choice for many MFE applicants.
If the programs I'm interested in don't require GRE, would it be worth the effort to try for a higher score?

If the programs I'm interested in don't require GRE, would it be worth the effort to try for a higher score?
I say not worth it since GRE is not a good differentiating signal anymore. Having a very low GRE is an automatic rejection but having a high GRE doesn't guarantee anything.
Spend your time on things that will get you ready for internship interviews right after your first semester. Things like C++ or Options theory, brain teasers, etc. Read books or take courses to fill the gap.

Back