• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation (just finished my 2nd year)

Hello everyone, I have long valued the knowledge shared on this forum and need guidance on my next Quantitative Finance/Finance Masters applications. I have just finished my second year of university and would like you to analyse my profile to see what my chances are, please.

Background:
  • Education: Economics at top 20 univeristy in Spain (University of Murcia). GPA: 3.03/4 (Top 10)
  • GRE/GMAT: not yet done
  • Relevant Courses:
    • Fundamentals of Financial Economics
    • Advanced Micro & Macroeconomics
    • Econometrics I, II & III
    • Economic Statistics
    • Mathematics for Economics
  • Projects: not yet done
  • Skills: intermediate level in Excel & R (used in Statistics I, II & II)
  • Work Experience: no relevant experience
  • Recommendation Letters: not yet requested
  • Languages: English (B2), French (B1) & Spanish (native)
My main target school is ETH/UZH Zurich for its master programme in Quantitative Finance. If I am not admitted there, I will consider almost any other option but at a sufficiently prestigious university (preferably in Europe or the United States).

Concerns:
  1. Given these facts, what could I do to obtain a more competitive profile?
  2. Should I enhance my programming skills or learn new ones? Which ones?
  3. I lack quant internships or any relevant experience on quant/finance. Will this be detrimental to my application?
  4. What gaps exist in my profile?
  5. Am I being too delusional for aiming top tier universities?
  6. I had thought about working 1 or 2 years before applying. Is that a good idea?
I still have half of my career to go, so I would like to be able to move towards a more attractive profile. I still have half of my career to go, so I would like to be able to move towards a more attractive profile. I would appreciate any ideas or recommendations both of schools suitable for my profile and ways to improve it.

Any information is very valuable to me as I am not very familiar with the skills most valued by selection committees.

Thank you very much.

Too soon for profile evaluation, imo.
1. Getting relevant internship/work ex would help you the most. Try to find a recommender at the places you work in/intern at. Certainly add some projects (maybe some research under a prof?).
2. Learn python. Be comfortable with OOP. Have a foundational understanding of data structures and algorithms. Being familiar with things like git, bash etc. can be very useful. So can having a good knowledge of standard software development practices and coding styles.
3. Yes. I have not seen any admit at any top school (US) who hasn't had some relevant (not necessarily quant but quant internships do help) internship experience
4. Really do not think your profile is anywhere complete right now. Work on the things highlighted above
5. You have a lot of time to work on your profile and I really do not see anything that should stop you from getting your profile to the point where it is competitive for top schools. So, no, I don't think aiming for top schools is delusional. But you will have to put in a lot of work in your progfile.
6. Yup. Work ex always helps.

Also, go give this a thorough read: Prerequisites | Master of Financial Engineering | Berkeley Haas. I'd suggest putting in work to be familiar and comfortable with all topics mentioned here.

Edit: I do not know why the quantnet python course is being linked in the 2nd point. I am not actively endorsing it. I am not familiar with it at all to give an active endorsement. It may help you, it may not but do your own research on that.

Too soon for profile evaluation, imo.
1. Getting relevant internship/work ex would help you the most. Try to find a recommender at the places you work in/intern at. Certainly add some projects (maybe some research under a prof?).
2. Learn python. Be comfortable with OOP. Have a foundational understanding of data structures and algorithms. Being familiar with things like git, bash etc. can be very useful. So can having a good knowledge of standard software development practices and coding styles.
3. Yes. I have not seen any admit at any top school (US) who hasn't had some relevant (not necessarily quant but quant internships do help) internship experience
4. Really do not think your profile is anywhere complete right now. Work on the things highlighted above
5. You have a lot of time to work on your profile and I really do not see anything that should stop you from getting your profile to the point where it is competitive for top schools. So, no, I don't think aiming for top schools is delusional. But you will have to put in a lot of work in your progfile.
6. Yup. Work ex always helps.

Also, go give this a thorough read: Prerequisites | Master of Financial Engineering | Berkeley Haas. I'd suggest putting in work to be familiar and comfortable with all topics mentioned here.

Edit: I do not know why the quantnet python course is being linked in the 2nd point. I am not actively endorsing it. I am not familiar with it at all to give an active endorsement. It may help you, it may not but do your own research on that.
Thank you very much for replying, I'll get on with it! I will update my situation soon!

Back