• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

[Profile Evaluation] MFE/MFIN 2017 for UCLA, UCB, NYU, MIT and Baruch

GRE: 327 [Q170 | V157]
GMAT: 710 [Q49 | V38]
Work-ex: Currency Portfolio Manager at a local firm for 2 years. 3 years internship at a Chartered Accountancy firm
Education: CFA (All levels),
FRM (All levels),
Master in Commerce, Bachelor in Commerce (CGPA: 3)

NOTE: I understand that my profile lacks programming and quantitative skills for the MFE. However, I've demonstrated some quant skills in CFA and calculus and stochastic in FRM. And I've also self-taught C++ and other quantitative pre-requisites. I created an algo strategy in C++ and backtested it as a part of my master's project, if that may help.

Schools to apply to: UCLA, UCB, MIT(MFin), NYU, Baruch

Very unlikely. It is not about programming skills rather the quality of education.
Weak academics and trading at mom & pop shop reflects poorly on your decision making skills.. Baruch you have the best chance.

Very unlikely. It is not about programming skills rather the quality of education.
Weak academics and trading at mom & pop shop reflects poorly on your decision making skills.. Baruch you have the best chance.
Nah. For MFE, Baruch, NYU and UCB are too selective. Your best chances will be MIT and UCLA.

Thanks for taking time out. I have not even a single MNC in my state functioning even remotely in finance. And, I hope to convey this through my essays. I, also have my reasons to not have migrated elsewhere. So, essays can bridge a lot of those gaps, I guess.

Moreover, would I be wrong to assume that CFA and FRM (which are more relevant) can offset my poor GPA in Bachelor's?

During my second-year of Master's, I also completed the Certificate of Quantitative Methodologies (with a CGPA of 3.7), which I think is of more relevance to the MFE program. Would that help?

Moreover, would I be wrong to assume that CFA and FRM (which are more relevant) can offset my poor GPA in Bachelor's?
Yes. That will not help a poor GPA.

During my second-year of Master's, I also completed the Certificate of Quantitative Methodologies (with a CGPA of 3.7), which I think is of more relevance to the MFE program. Would that help?
It might a bit. This isn't the CQF (Certificate in Quantitative Finance), right?

You may be able to finagle your way into second tier programs like Rutgers, Stevens etc with enough convincing & sugar coating. They won't mind overlooking & recognizing someone trading his/her personal account in a wet bathrobe as a PM or Hedge fund manager. You won't escape the intense scrutiny from a first tier program and your bluff will be called upon.
The first tier programs wants academic talent and second tier wants $$. If you don't have either you are out of luck.

Thanks for taking time out. I have not even a single MNC in my state functioning even remotely in finance. And, I hope to convey this through my essays. I, also have my reasons to not have migrated elsewhere. So, essays can bridge a lot of those gaps, I guess.

Back