• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation :-) MFE/MSF

Hello, I'm a rising senior and trying to be prepared for my graduate program application. Can someone please evaluate my profile and let me know if there's any good advice to improve the chance of getting admitted.

Background:
Math/Econ double majors in a Liberal Art College in Pennsylvania
Overall GPA: 3.76 out of 4; Both major GPA is around 3.7; got several B/B+ in the first year, but got better and better after that. (Dean's List for all semesters except the first one)
GRE: 337 (Quant 170, Verbal 167, AW 4.0)
Internship: the Coming 8 Weeks Summer Internship at China Security Co., Ltd ( Top 3 finance company in China, which operates as a comprehensive security services provider, also operates as a neo investment bank in Hong Kong to expand its business overseas)
There were no other decent internships, but I attended some programs like Goldman Sachs Summer Insight Program and still looking for more job opportunities.
Research Experience: National Science Foundation REU Program (an independent agency of U.S. government, Summer Research about Computational and Experimental Mathematics)
Have some experience with Python and R, and will keep cultivating skills in programming with one or more languages
Have strong passion and basic knowledge about the Finance industry, did investment with stocks and options, and learned from the market
Plan to attend CFA level I test in the senior year and take some pre-MFE programs to strengthen math/programming skills (However, hesitate to take which one first can be helpful for application.) Are there other beneficial programs or anything helpful that I should consider?

For the recommendation letter, I'm in a liberal art college, it's quite small. Thus, I may not be able to find many influential professors, only I have is that the professor who teaches me and talks to me every semester. And there was an influential professor who recommended I attend the NSF program, he has left our school and started up a new business, so I'm not sure if I still can let him write a recommendation letter for me. Also, there was an instructor who taught me investment, he's not a professor but he holds an asset management company, I always discuss some financial problems with him, and got A+ in his class. He also left our school, so I do not know if I should go ask for a recommendation letter too.

I'm looking forward to applying for some of the top US MFE programs like Columbia, NYU Tandon, Cornell MFE. Is there any chance for me to get admitted from them, or should I lower my targets?
If I'm failed to get admitted, I may also consider applying for some MSF programs or Quant Finance programs. Also, is there any suggestion about programs if I want to work in NYC or Hong Kong in the future? I do not have a clear preference for Quant trader or researcher so far, so I guess both are fine to me.

Any suggestion and critique are welcome!!!

Last edited:
looking good.
Thanks! I was worried since I browsed some tracked applications, and I felt what I have is nothing. My dream school was Columbia, but I saw many guys got admitted with a 4.0 GPA for math.
Based on your experience, do you think the school's position is a really significant factor that I need to consider? Also, may I ask which program you personally like more?

Thanks! I was worried since I browsed some tracked applications, and I felt what I have is nothing. My dream school was Columbia, but I saw many guys got admitted with a 4.0 GPA for math.
Based on your experience, do you think the school's position is a really significant factor that I need to consider? Also, may I ask which program you personally like more?
The rankings provide a data point, but not a complete set of criteria. When choosing an MBA, I went w/ a small unranked school on purpose because I figured for me at that time it would be better to be a big fish in a small pond. For MFE, I went full dummy for what I viewed to be the best program.

I'd pay attention to career placement, curriculum, and results of recent alumni based on LinkedIn stalking.

What program do I like? I'm some nutjob in the internet - I could have picked my program because they had the best cafeteria. Figure out your criteria and go from there. Try some more searches on this forum, or read the reviews here to get a feel.

Looking great! Make sure you emphasize the importance of your internship, "China Security Co." is a pretty generic name and most Americans have no idea what it is, but it sounds like something you worked hard for. Same with your NSF research, that sounds impressive too.

How's your writing skills? Can you sell yourself well in essays?

Looking great! Make sure you emphasize the importance of your internship, "China Security Co." is a pretty generic name and most Americans have no idea what it is, but it sounds like something you worked hard for. Same with your NSF research, that sounds impressive too.

How's your writing skills? Can you sell yourself well in essays?
Thanks for your reply! I think my writing skills are fine. At least I will make great efforts to write it as well as possible.

Back