• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation needed

Hello, could you please evaluate my profile:

B.E Civil engineering from India
Overall gpa of 2.6 (65.1%) which is good in my university
However I have very bad Math scores, due to a period of lack of focus in my undergrad, which I now strongly regret.
GMAT: 710 (Q 49, V 37 AWA 5.5)
I have two years experience: 3 months working in software, 1.7 months in civil engg.
Very proficient in C, C++, JAVA, SQL but have no certifications to support it other than my 3 months work experience in software industry
The catch:
I am very passionate about finance - I am already enrolled in financial engineering program in Chicago from Aug 2010. However this program is not at all well-ranked. The reason I came here, was the hefty scholarship. I really needed the scholarship.
However, I am not happy with it, and due to some change in my personal background, can now afford to attend a premier program.
At my current school, I feel that I am wasting my potential.
I have secured 3.33 GPA in my current MSF program.
I do not seek to transfer credits. If it is possible I will be happy, but more than anything I want to get into a premier program where I can prove myself.
Baruch MFE fits all my requirements, problem is do I fill theirs?

Is my current enrollment in a MFS program and enrollmnet for CFA level I enough to demonstrate my passion for Quantitative finance?
I think I can explain the career change quite strongly in my essays.
Btw during my 3.33 GPA in last semester I have got an A on Financial Modeling and B on Quantitative Analysis and Mathematics in Finance.
I am taking courses like Options, Futures and other derivatives, Financial Statement Analysis and Portfolio Management this term.

Also, I am pretty late in applying. What do you think of my chances for the program?
And which factors should i highlight more in the application?
Will my low maths scores in undergrad prove detrimental?

Very proficient in C, C++, JAVA, SQL but have no certifications to support it other than my 3 months work experience in software industry

How many years of experience with those languages? They may require proven skills.

GPA of 3.33 is not good enough. You are talking about 3.33/4.0 right?
Overall gpa of 2.6 (65.1%) which is good in my university

65.1% is good???
There are many people aware of Baruch here and they'll help you more but I think you should evaluate your quantitative skills in such a way: Can you keep up with the studding after enrollment? I would apply but GPA should have been improved a bit.

Hi Tsotne,

For the programming skills, I think I can play up my Financial Modeling degree, plus the fact that I am currently working as IT Support Assistant in my university.

I know 3.33 is not good, but I missed two A grades by a fraction. So, I got A, B, B. Though don't know how I can explain that.

Well, technically speaking, 65.1 is not at all good, but my university did not employ relative grading. Also, the GPA increases towards the end of the undergrad course. I have 72% in 2nd last semester and 84% in the last semester. Unfortunatley I did not have maths courses is those semesters.

I am sorry, but I did not understand, what you meant by, "Can you keep up with the studding after enrollment?"
Could you please elaborate?
Thank you so much for your help.
Also can you tell me what my chances are for Baruch?

Also one of the main reasons for gpa 3.33 in last semester, was that initially i had some difficulty adjusting with the US education system.

Hi Tsotne,

For the programming skills, I think I can play up my Financial Modeling degree, plus the fact that I am currently working as IT Support Assistant in my university.

I know 3.33 is not good, but I missed two A grades by a fraction. So, I got A, B, B. Though don't know how I can explain that.

Well, technically speaking, 65.1 is not at all good, but my university did not employ relative grading. Also, the GPA increases towards the end of the undergrad course. I have 72% in 2nd last semester and 84% in the last semester. Unfortunatley I did not have maths courses is those semesters.

I am sorry, but I did not understand, what you meant by, "Can you keep up with the studding after enrollment?"
Could you please elaborate?
Thank you so much for your help.

That's not a good plus to have an IT experience since it's not directly related to programming skills. As for grades A B B, the fact is that I'm not sure how you can explain the individual grades out of the overall evaluation of studding which is expressed in GPA. Your advantage would be to increase the GPA as possible since as I have been answered many times on this forum, the admission committee doesn't pay too much attention to specific subjects and they all have almost same weight and are reflected on GPA. That's a good progress which you are showing, 65.1% -->> 72% -->> 84%... keep up and work as much as possible on GPA. But it isn't the only determinant of your chances.

Can you keep up with the studding after enrollment?

You already answered that I think by saying that you had some difficulties adjusting with US education system. I read you have been studding in India previously and that's what I asked if you could successfully fit with US system. That's an important thing since you are not the first person having such difficulty I know several at my university.

As far as specifically Baruch is concerned I'm sorry but I cannot tell you chances since here are people with more knowledge of the inside overall system of Baruch and they'll post more useful replies than I can. If you believe you will be suitable with the studies of the program due to your quantitative skills then I personally would take the following path: Work to increase my current GPA and step over 3.6 (or at least 3.5 that would be a big advantage) and then apply.

Good luck with it

Also you forgot to answer if the maximum GPA is 4.0 and I forgot to ask if you are taking math subjects in this semester: Statistics, any Calculus?

yes, the GPA is out of 4.0
I am not taking maths classes this semester, as I have already completed them in my undergrad.
The thing is that I have to apply by Fall 2011, otherwise there is no point in applying. I would get my current MSF degree and find a job through it. But I think that I can do better than that. Hence I wish to change my university.
I am sure that I can keep up with the curriculum at Baruch.
I am good at quants, even though this is not very evident from my GPA. I am sure that I can keep up with the program, and I am ready to work like hell for that. However that is very much later.
The current question before me is whether I should apply and try to change the program for a great start, or continue with my current program and have a normal start from a normal school, and improve my career through the jobs.

The thing is I am not just job-oriented, I really want to learn - from a great school, a great program. That is why I am unhappy with my current program.

I am good at quants, even though this is not very evident from my GPA. I am sure that I can keep up with the program, and I am ready to work like hell for that. However that is very much later.

Good motivation. It's not late at all. I don't think it'd be correct if I told you to drop your current program and switch to other or vise versa - keep on doing what you don't like and then change your school. However, why don't wait for the current degree and then apply for it. Let's weigh both losses and gains from doing so:

Loss: You don't apply for a better program for a year and after you finish and (at least hypothetically) apply for Baruch program you loose one more year in studding and walk away from job.

Gain: You hold one more degree by the path of waiting for the current degree and then apply for Baruch.

I think that obtaining one more degree for just waiting one year is not a game. It'll be a big advantage later. What happens if you drop the current program? You are loosing everything up until now at your current university? Leaving with no degree. Job is to be wait for just one more year if after graduating now you apply a Baruch program.

Hi Ketki
Did you get admission with 2.6 undergrad? That looks cool!!!
Do you think I can get admission with this profile
GPA 2.6/4 undergrad applied Math Iran
GPA 3.6/4 Graduate Industrial engineering and system management Iran
GRE 300 verbal, 780 Quant
1 year programming experience

Hi ketki, which school are you currently doing your MSF in? and for the scholarship, how much does it cover?

Hi Ketki, you mean you are at the Financial Maths program at Chicago now? Just curious, does it provides scholarship? Thanks!

Tsotne,
Well, but if I complete both the degrees, MFE after MSF would be kind of overkill, and is not really justified, I think.
I do like your advice, but still confused.

Arvin, Jacksc, Jill
I have not been admitted to Baruch, I am thinking of applying.
Currently I am in Illinois Institute of Technology's MSF program mainly because I have got almost 85% scholarship.

Could anyone else please give me your opinions? Would like to especially have Andy's opinion.

If I were you, I would not put high hope in getting in the Baruch MFE program with this profile. MFE is getting very similar to MBA in the sense that unless you get into the top programs, going anywhere else is increasingly a waste of time and money as recruitment and placement effort at the top vastly outspace the rest.

Hi Andy,
Firstly, thank you for all your help. You've made this crazy process much more bearable.
Can you please elaborate on what you refer to as the top programs (roughly, at least)?

Thanks

To sum up all I have posted. You won't be in an advantageous position when applying unless you improve your GPA.

Back