• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation

Hello All,

Kindly evaluate my profile and help me select an appropriate college for Mathematical Finance. My GMAT score is not so great (Q-51 and V-26).

Education:

1. Bachelor Of Technology from an IIT(India), I have taken all the prerequisite Maths and computational courses with average grades in each.
2. Don't have formal financial educational background but i have taken MOCC's offered by different universities on coursera and have an undergrad project in finance during college.

Work Experience:

- 1.5 yrs as a business analyst in a start up data analytics firm. I have hands on experience working on VBA/Excel and R. I have also worked on few projects wherein i have gained experience working on statistical modelling and data mining.

I am looking for Quant Fin/Mathematical Fin courses. I can get decent professional recommendations and I am looking to get into asset management, sales, trading or structuring. But i have few worries:

1. I don't have formal financial educational background and also no formal financial work experience. Does my work ex. in data analytics helps me with my application?

2. I have average and below average grades in my undergrad Maths courses as the mathematics dept in my undergrads school is too stingy when it comes to grading students. Would a recommendation from the subject prof help me leverage out my lower grades?

Kindly evaluate my profile with regard to chances of admission at below mentioned programs and suggest other suitable programs.

1. Rutgers MQF
2. Columbia MAFN
3. Boston MSMF
4. Georgia Tech MSQF
5. UNC MMF

I never cared to know how GMAT scores are interpreted. More of a GRE guy. Sorry about that.

Working at Data Analytics does help since you have worked in a field with applications of statistics and probability.

I can't give you an idea about your chances at these universities. I can only tell you what aspects are weak. Please look at tracker to get an idea about the GPAs and GREs for these universities. Math grades are important but strong recos and SOP might set them off. I tend to believe that they're the most important aspect of one's profile but previous results have proven otherwise.

Good luck!

Hello Azamat,

Thanks much for your reply. This is really helpful, though i have one quick question. For candidates like me who does not have formal financial education, does writing about few online coursera courses on Finance/Mathematical meathods in finance helps improve the application?

Thanks!

@Diego Ocampo : hey.. ya..Thanks.! thats a nice option.. Will surely look consider it.!
Btw one more question:
Any idea.. which of these or other reputed FE or MathFin colleges which offer Financial Aid to Intl. Students?
@Azamat Bagatov ,
@Golllini ?

Back