• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Review: What schools should I target given my background and what areas do I need improved?

Education:

I'm graduating from my local state university (NJIT); I majored in Applied Math and minored in CS. My cumulative GPA is 3.6/4.0 but I had to retake 2 lower-level courses to improve my GPA plus I have a couple of Cs in higher level math courses. However I took a lot of coursework to prepare for a degree in quant finance with classes such as Stochastic Processes and Simulation, 1 year of calculus-based probability, and 1 year of numerical analysis.

Test scores:
169 on Verbal, 170 on quant, 5.0 on the writing

Research Experience:
~10 months as part of a sort of REU in computational mathematics; worked as part of a group of 3 students and presented our work at 3 conferences
~6 months as an undergraduate research assistant with the physics department. I analyzed data to understand the impact of space weather events.
~8 months doing experimental, computational, and theoretical work in fluid dynamics as part of a capstone project. Resulted in a couple of poster presentations.

Work experience:
- Software engineering internship during spring 2017 at a startup (unknown company but the work is interesting)

Currently taking a month break to travel in Europe but I expect to apply for full-time positions when I come back.

I can get 3 strong letters of recommendation, plus I speak 2 more languages (Spanish/Portuguese). I'm also strong with programming in Matlab as part of my research work, and C due to my internship. I know I should try and get some prestigious work experience but aside from that, are there any glaring issues with my profile? What schools should I realistically be targeting? I expect to apply for schools next Fall in anticipation for starting my MFE in Fall 2018.

Your profile seems to be a fit for most top colleges. Go for the top US/UK colleges. If you fancy Europe, you can try ETH Zurich and EPFL.
Good luck.

Back