• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Program and Profile Discussion

I am very interested in the Financial Engineering career path and am looking to apply to Masters programs starting this fall and planning to enroll after my graduation in May 2021. For a bit of background, I am enrolled in a 5 year combined BS/MS program at Northeastern University in Boston, MA: BS Chemical Engineering, MS Industrial/Engineering Management(Data Science Concentration).

BS Chemical Engineering GPA- 3.83
MS Industrial/Engineering Management GPA- 3.96
Multiple Leadership positions in an on-campus fraternity
4 Month experience as quantitative stock analysis intern at a small firm in New Jersey
6 Month internship in the strategic sourcing division at a large Biotech company in Boston, MA
6 Month Internship in CMC drug process/reaction optimization lab role at a mid-size Biotech in Cambridge, MA
GRE-170Q, 166V
Programming Skills- C++, SQL, Python, MATLAB
Side Project- Machine Learning project dealing with NLP
Courses- Calc 1-3, Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, Graduate Probability and Statistics, Graduate Economic Decision Making, Graduate Financial Management, various data science-related classes, the full spectrum of chemical engineering courseload

I want to apply to top 10 caliber MFE programs and was hoping to see what you guys thought about my profile and if there are any ways to bolster my application by the time I apply. Thanks in advance!

The schools I am currently looking at:
Baruch
NYU
MIT
Columbia
UCB
CMU
Boston University
Cornell
University of Chicago

I am very interested in the Financial Engineering career path and am looking to apply to Masters programs starting this fall and planning to enroll after my graduation in May 2021. For a bit of background, I am enrolled in a 5 year combined BS/MS program at Northeastern University in Boston, MA: BS Chemical Engineering, MS Industrial/Engineering Management(Data Science Concentration).

BS Chemical Engineering GPA- 3.83
MS Industrial/Engineering Management GPA- 3.96
Multiple Leadership positions in an on-campus fraternity
4 Month experience as quantitative stock analysis intern at a small firm in New Jersey
6 Month internship in the strategic sourcing division at a large Biotech company in Boston, MA
6 Month Internship in CMC drug process/reaction optimization lab role at a mid-size Biotech in Cambridge, MA
GRE-170Q, 166V
Programming Skills- C++, SQL, Python, MATLAB
Side Project- Machine Learning project dealing with NLP
Courses- Calc 1-3, Differential Equations and Linear Algebra, Graduate Probability and Statistics, Graduate Economic Decision Making, Graduate Financial Management, various data science-related classes, the full spectrum of chemical engineering courseload

I want to apply to top 10 caliber MFE programs and was hoping to see what you guys thought about my profile and if there are any ways to bolster my application by the time I apply. Thanks in advance!

The schools I am currently looking at:
Baruch
NYU
MIT
Columbia
UCB
CMU
Boston University
Cornell
University of Chicago
You’ll probably get into any school you apply to your American and have great everything. I recommend also adding Princeton to your list as well because you could probably get in if you do everything right

You’ll probably get into any school you apply to your American and have great everything. I recommend also adding Princeton to your list as well because you could probably get in if you do everything right
Great thanks for your input. I had Princeton as my top choice but didn’t know if it was feasible to get in so I left it out. My assumption was that I didn’t have a lot of financial work experience compared to others.

Great thanks for your input. I had Princeton as my top choice but didn’t know if it was feasible to get in so I left it out. My assumption was that I didn’t have a lot of financial work experience compared to others.
Lack of experience depends on age I guess. If your 30 and have a lack of Finance experience I would have a reason of why your deciding to move to finance. If your young still have a reason of why you want to go to finance as well. Also showing how your past experience are leading you to a mfe degree and how it will help you reach your next goal will make you stand out. Remember that the mfe is suppose to look like an assist and not something completely necessary for you to become successful

Back