• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation for MFE/MFin 2024

Hi all, I would like to get some advice on how I can improve my profile for Fall 2024 cycle.

My Background:

Education: Graduating in July 2024 with an integrated dual degree: B.E. in Computer Science and an MSc. in Economics from BITS Pilani (a tier 1 private university in India)

Current GPA: 9.03/10 (Expect to graduate with 9.21/10)

GRE: 334 (170Q 164V)

TOEFL: 116/120

Relevant Coursework (grades on 10 point scale):
1. Math/Statistics: Calculus (9), Probability and Statistics (7), Linear Algebra (8), Differential Equations (8), Statistical Methods in Finance (9),​
Econometric Methods (8), Applied Econometrics (10), Discrete Structures for CS (8), Cryptography (10)​
2. Economics: Microeconomics (10), Macroeconomics (10), Public Finance (10), Money, Banking & Financial Markets (10), International Trade & Finance (10)​
3. CS/Programming: C Programming (10), Object Oriented Programming in Java (9), Data Structures and Algorithms (8), Database Systems (9),​
Operating Systems (7), Computer Networks (10), Compilers (10), Parallel and Distributed Computing (10), Network Programming (10)​
4. AI: Deep Learning (10)​
5. Quant Finance: Financial Engineering (10), Financial Risk Management (10), Derivatives (8)​
6. Corporate Finance: Fundamentals of Financial Accounting (8), Business Analysis and Valuation (9), Financial Management (10), Security Analysis and​
Portfolio Management (10)​
7. Unrelated, but since I did not have very rigorous math background, did a few Coursera MOOCs related to Numerical Analysis, Game Theory, etc. Not sure​
if they matter much​

Experience: No full time experience, 6 month experience as an SDE intern in core databases (C++, Java)

Extracurriculars: TA for Derivatives course (300+ students), RAship experience in Parallel Computing lab (have 1 publication related to data mining), World Affairs writer for a college periodical, volunteer for academic counselling cell of college, volunteered for community effort during COVID by participating in development of a crowd-sourcing and resource allocation web app (23.4 million hits)

Languages (with coursework): Python (Deep Learning), C (Computer Programming, DSA, Network Programming), C++ (Parallel Computing), SQL (Database Systems), Java (Object Oriented Programming)

Applying to:
  • Baruch, MFE
  • Princeton, MFin
  • CMU, MSQF
  • Columbia, MAFN
  • MIT, MFin
  • NYU, MS Math in Finance
Questions:

1. My main aim is to land QR roles. Based on the coursework I mentioned above, should I apply to MIT considering their heavy corporate finance based coursework? I do understand the importance of MIT tag, but would like to know more about the tradeoff involved here in terms of curriculum.

2. I don't have any finance-related work experience. My interest in the field has been sparked mainly via the courses I did in university and I believe this lack of work experience might negatively impact my application. Is there a way to remedy this or should I just wait a year and get some work experience first?

3. UK Programs: Have been reading some stuff about bad hiring situation in UK/EU. How are programs like Cambridge Math Part III, Oxford MCF faring in this job market? I like their curriculum, which is theory centric but not sure about post-graduation opportunities so a bit skeptical about applying

4. Related to transcript: Overall my grades have been on an upward trajectory but I have some not so great grades in a few CS courses like computer architechture (5/10), theory of computation (6/10). Should I talk about this in my SOP or since they are not very related to finance, should avoid drawing attention?

5. Related to LORs: For my 3 LORS, I have one from a finance professor (TAd with him and did some research work), and one from my SDE internship manager (about my programming skills). I am not sure about the third one. Is it okay if my third letter is from a professor under whom I did some coursework (2 courses, statistics/econometrics) or someone with whom I published a paper (but this would be another CS related SOP).

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi,

Having some experience in Finance is a plus, but having a strong quantitative background in a field like Math, Physics, or Computer Science plays a more significant role than you think.

For MIT MFin, I recommend looking at their detailed employment reports and taking a call yourself. You can find them through a simple Google search.

Low grades in a few courses don't speak for your educational capability and will not hurt if your overall academic standing (in the relevant subjects!) is strong.

The LoRs should ideally be from professors or managers you have worked with directly and have much to say about your accomplishments, work ethic, intelligence, and skills. Whether the interaction revolved around Finance is not so relevant to the strength of the letter.

Feel free to reach out if you'd like to talk!

Princeton values finance internships or work experience highly, so consider doing one if you want to get in there. Nobody cares about the grades in unrelated courses like Theory of computation. About the LORs, try to make it as diverse as possible, so that each one speaks about each aspect of your profile.

Princeton values finance internships or work experience highly, so consider doing one if you want to get in there. Nobody cares about the grades in unrelated courses like Theory of computation. About the LORs, try to make it as diverse as possible, so that each one speaks about each aspect of your profile.
Is a lack of full-time work ex make-or-break for Princeton? The deadline for Princeton is Jan 3, and I'll be doing a finance internship from Jan to June, so should I be mentioning that?

Is a lack of full-time work ex make-or-break for Princeton? The deadline for Princeton is Jan 3, and I'll be doing a finance internship from Jan to June, so should I be mentioning that?
No. A lot of their students (nearly 60%) are straight out of college. They do like to see that people have done internships though. Mentioning it can't hurt. Just go to linkedin and look at the current students. Should help get an idea of what kind of people get in.

Back