• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Publishing at Quant Conferences or Journals

Jim

After reading how Joy wrote an article about finance, I think I'd also like to write on in order to learn about the field.

Do non-phd students contribute to quant finance research as well? Or is this a usually a doctoral student/professor-only affair? Also, is it unwise for a computer science phd student to publish a journal or conference paper in the quant finance domain? (I'm asking this, since I'm assuming that phd students are expected to spend most of their time trying to publish in CS journals).

Also, is it unwise for a computer science phd student to publish a journal or conference paper in the quant finance domain? (I'm asking this, since I'm assuming that phd students are expected to spend most of their time trying to publish in CS journals).

It totally depends on what your supervisor (who, I am assuming, is paying you). If he is fine with it (and I know many professors who would be fine with such an idea), I do not see why you may not publish finance related paper.

You could first talk to your advisor and then try to collaborate with some finance professor/postdoc/student... that would be a good way to proceed I believe...

It totally depends on what your supervisor (who, I am assuming, is paying you). If he is fine with it (and I know many professors who would be fine with such an idea), I do not see why you may not publish finance related paper.

You could first talk to your advisor and then try to collaborate with some finance professor/postdoc/student... that would be a good way to proceed I believe...

Okay, so it's not a completely outlandish idea... :)

Okay, so it's not a completely outlandish idea... :)

Depends on how generous your supervisor is... ;)

I do not think he would have much of a problem IF you are also very productive in your dissertation research work ...

Back