• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant Analyst vs Quant Trader

I know quant analyst is a kind of quant in a general sense, but I am kinda confused abt the quant trader, is it just like a trader using quantitative strategies, and what kind of education background/skill set it needs? and I guess you can be quant prop trader? or hedge fund quant trader?

Andy Nguyen

Thanks

Simply put, quant trader is a quant who trades ;)
I used to work for one who has a PhD in Math. Quant prop trader vs hedge fund quant trader is simple what type of employer it is. Prop trading in investment banks is a dying breed due to Frank-Dodd but there are plenty of prop houses elsewhere, specially in Chicago. You can take a look at the list of prop trading firms in our list here.

As far as background goes, from my experience, they are all from technical/quantitative background. They build their own tools, come up with their own trading strategies and manage their own books.
Strategies can be from very technical to microeconomic events.

Thanks Andy Nguyen
I am thinking about a career path of
front-office quant analyst/desk quant or algo trading analyst (3-4 yrs) ----->
1)com-sci/stats phd to be quant trader
2)quant prop house trader/hedge fund quant trader(10 yrs)
----->trying to found a quant hedge fund myself

Is my ST/LT goal reasonable?haha sorry if it looks dumb.

Back