• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant Job with Undergraduate Only

Hi, so I just graduated with a Bachelors of Engineering in Computer and Internet Engineering in the UK (not a top tier uni) with a farily good grade (First Class - 80%).

My initial plan was to do a Masters in Comp Fin / Math Fin / Fin Eng, but I have been rejected from most of the unis I found worth (Oxford, UCL, Kings) so 'veI decided it is better to get relevant work experience. However, my question is whether it is possible to get a job as a quant (developer/analyst/trader) with my degree and one year work experience + summer internship as a software engineer, or if it is a waste of time.

Related to this, when applying to jobs is it preferable to include a cover letter if given the option, and what kind of projects would make me stand out?

Maybe too long question but I am very lost right now. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Back